Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LED Replacement Bulb Sources?

I'm gradually replacing all of the non-headlamp lights on the Brat with LED bulbs, and am running into a problem. The issue is with the bases on the bulbs where the bayonet mount meets the bulb itself.

What I need is a flared-style base, like this:

10ndqvr.png

Not a flat-style base like on this one:

rh25wj.png

Basically, the flat bases won't fit in my light buckets. The problem I'm running into is that all 23-element LED bulbs seem to use that style of base.

Does anyone know of a source making the 23-up-element bulbs with the flared base? I'd really like people to know when I'm on the brakes, so getting as many of those little suckers in there as possible is key in this.

Ended up going the superbrightleds.com route. They were able to confirm the bases for me over the phone, so we'll see what happens when they get here.

FWIW, I picked up an electronic flasher relay today. I don't have the part handy, so don't know if it's a low-current one or not; looks like another 'wait and see' item.

Lights got here today. For anyone who may be thinking of going the same route: I'll test-fit them in my spare taillights later (the world's longest clutch job continues apace), but it looks like they're going to work and anecdotal evidence suggests that the flasher is the correct one. w00t for people actually being able to tell when I'm stopping!

Lights got here today. For anyone who may be thinking of going the same route: I'll test-fit them in my spare taillights later (the world's longest clutch job continues apace), but it looks like they're going to work and anecdotal evidence suggests that the flasher is the correct one. w00t for people actually being able to tell when I'm stopping!

I am very interested in going the same route. Hopefully there isn't much difference between your '86 Brat and my '87 GL 3dr as far as this is concerned.

I am very interested in going the same route. Hopefully there isn't much difference between your '86 Brat and my '87 GL 3dr as far as this is concerned.

Is your car a 3 door coupe, or a hatch?

If its a coupe there very well may be some significant differences.

If its a Hatch, then it should match up almost to the "T".

Twitch

PS that link provided in post #4 has a good selection of LED's, and decent prices.

It may very well be the source we're looking for!

Is your car a 3 door coupe, or a hatch?

If its a coupe there very well may be some significant differences.

If its a Hatch, then it should match up almost to the "T".

Twitch

PS that link provided in post #4 has a good selection of LED's, and decent prices.

I have a 3dr coupe.

The LED lights fit :D

Indeed it may. For anyone wondering, replacing all exterior lights except the headlamps on a Brat generates the following parts list:

Indicators (4): Wide Amber 1156-A24

Brake / Taillights (2): Wide Red 1157-R24

Reversing lights (2): Wide White 1156-W24 5.50

Front Parking Lights (2): 120 Degree White WLED-W-x

Front Sidemarkers (2): 120 Degree Amber WLED-A-x

Flasher relay: Trico EP-34 from NAPA. Not yet tested, but apparently correct.

I went with 24-element (18 forward, 6 radial) bulbs on the indicators, brake / tails, and reversing lights since I *really* want to be seen. Not sure how street-legal they'll be, but we'll see what happens.

Edited by casm