Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys my girlfriend's mom just had her a/c compressor go out and I was going to find her a replacement. She has a 2003 Outback H6. I assume Subaru re-designed much of the engine and associated parts for the 3.0L H6. If I raid the junkyard, can I only grab an a/c compressor from a H6 subie? Thanks for your help!

Talked to my distributor. In 03, the compressors are interchangeable between Legacy Outbacks regardless of engine type. However, after that, the H6 got a different compressor. Looks like the EJ25 kept using the same one. So....if you find an H6 in the wrecking yard, it needs to be an 03. However, most EJ25's from that block of years should be fine.

And if you can get one for $60, even if it doesn't work, you can go through about 6 of them, including labor to swap, for what a reman compressor will cost you. Those be some SPENDY boogers!

Oh wow cool. It will be much easier to find a random 2.5L engine. Plus, like you said, it would be cheaper buying a compressor and seeing if it fits two or three times considering what they're selling new and remanufactured units for. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
Talked to my distributor. In 03, the compressors are interchangeable between Legacy Outbacks regardless of engine type. However, after that, the H6 got a different compressor. Looks like the EJ25 kept using the same one. So....if you find an H6 in the wrecking yard, it needs to be an 03. However, most EJ25's from that block of years should be fine.

Hi Schoobywagon, did I read it right, that for 2001 subi they should be interchangable (i.e. 2.5 and 3.0L ones) although they have different subaru part #s?

thanks but nevermind

2001-2002, should match engine size (i.e. 2.5L is not interchangable with 3.0L). 2003-2004 seems to be interchangable -- that is what I've discovered. Got myself used one from 3.0L one for 2001 (from 2002 car) for 69$+15$shipping off ebay. Local junk yard wanted 200$ ufff