Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL-10 Mystery Rattle

I believe there is a cat in the downpipe from the turbo. I know that pipe is quite heavy. There is also a cat in the mid-pipe.

Yeah there is, but I've never heard them rattle like that.

I have heard the heat shields rattle pretty bad tho, but nothing like what he has in the vid.

I believe there is a cat in the downpipe from the turbo. I know that pipe is quite heavy. There is also a cat in the mid-pipe.

Ah, so that's what that big fat part is, another cat! The exploded view in my Haynes manual conveniently neglected to label that piece ^_^. In a little bit here, once I'm fully awake, I'm going to go read codes.

Want to get that issue resolved first before I start on trying to get the downpipe removed...

So... I've figure out the source of the rattle! Good news is it's not the turbo. Bad news it IS the cat in the downpipe! So uh... yeah. Now what? :lol:

Well I found one item on ebay listed as a "Turbo, Front Cat." (LINK). Is this the right one? Looks like it might fit. Any other suggestions would be welcome ^_^. I suppose I could just gut it too :P.

I just figured I could use a universal and have it put in place... guess not? So do you think I should be replacing the cat or would it be better to gut it, or replace it with a straight pipe altogether?

And what would you be asking for one of those cats if I need one? Thanks again! Btw, getting this fixed should help a bit with the engine running right. I've noticed that since the rattle got really bad, it's affected the engine performance and timing on account of the knock sensor I guess...

Edited by mentis

Make sure that's it before you throw money at it. Get under there with the car off and cold, and hit the forward part of the exhaust with the heel of your hand. Hit around in a few spots, until you hear the rattle. If you don't hear the rattle, move on.

Edited by 4x4_Welder

Will that still work even when the noise normally is only audible when the engine's warmed up? I'll give it a go though ^_^. I must say, however, that this current mechanic of mine is rather good. I don't mind verifying, but I do trust these guys...

Will that still work even when the noise normally is only audible when the engine's warmed up? I'll give it a go though ^_^. I must say, however, that this current mechanic of mine is rather good. I don't mind verifying, but I do trust these guys...

Wear a glove :-p

You should be able to remove the DP from the turbo and the center section.

If its all one piece from the end of the DP back, then somethings been replaced before.

It is all one piece actually... When I first bought the car year and years ago all it had was the downpipe! So the second cat and muffler all had to be added :lol:.

EDIT: I bought a pair of gloves last week... got tired of tearing my hands up working on this stuff!

Edited by mentis