Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If you take off the back paneling of the hatch you'll see the mechanism. It is pretty simple. Mine froze up on my '99 obw a while ago and I had to take it all apart and make it work again. But you could easily put a cable, or electric actuator in there to have a button or lever to pop the hatch.

If you want something that will kick the back hatch open, you'll need something sturdier than a standard door actuator. What you need is a door pull solenoid. For your hatch, you'll probably want something in the 40+ lb range. A good one will likely run you somewhere around $100. That solenoid will be able to pull hard enough to open the catch. These hatches are a bit heavy, though, so you may want to add a spring to the bottom of the hatch. That way, the solenoid will release the hatch and the spring will push it open just a bit so that when the solenoid quits pulling, the catch won't just re-close on the latch bar. There are even ways to make that work on your factory keyless entry system.

If you have questions about how this works, let me know.