Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2002 GT 2.5 and I want to do a valve adjustment. Anyone have the FSM procedure they could email me (Private Message me)

Do you think this would be in Haynes?

Also...why do I not have to adj my 96 OB 2.5 and I have to adj a newer (more improved?) model???

I used to have to adjust the old GL/DL OHV models I owned....

take a look here... http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/Valve07MayEW.pdf this might be of some assistance...I believe 96 was the last year they used HLA's ( hydraulic lash adjusters) which automatically adjust which explains why the valves don't require check/adjustment on your 96...

Thanks EVO

How do I know if I have the bucket style with the shims....if I have this type I'm not sure I want to attempt it...doesn't this require measuring then going to dealer to get the right size?

anyone done it?>

I have done shim adjusters before, but not on one of those.

What you do is...

Measure the clearances and record them, pull all the shims that are out of spec and keep them in order, measure how thick they all are, calculate(using the old thickness plus/minus the clearance) what the maximum and minimum thickness shim you could use for each position needing adjustment, sort through the shims you have out finding which ones can be used, go to the dealer and buy shims for the remaining positions you don't have a shim for. Remember that the shims come in steps and the required clearances are always within a range, not a specific measurement. Often you can get away only buying one or two shims.