Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another Successful EJ22 Swap into 98 OBW

Alright, after almost two months of acquiring parts, cleaning stuff, replacing seals and o-rings, removing broken stuff, and drinking lots of beer my swap is finally done! :banana:

She turned over on the first try! Everything was hooked up properly and so far there have been no leaks :) There was a lifter ticking on the passengers side for the first 10 minutes or so, but that went away. So far so good...

I'm about to go troubleshoot a CEL, but I fully expected to have one since I didn't connect a charcoal cannister (I just looped the hose). I will let y'all know how that turns out.

Thanks again for all of the advice and guidance throughout this process.

Here are a few pics of the final install:

EJ22 on its way in...

EJ22Installed001.jpg

She's in

EJ22Installed006.jpg

Everything hooked up

EJ22Installed013.jpg

Here she is purring like a kitten and me being dirty but happy :)

EJ22Installed017.jpg

And for anyone who remembers my original post after the engine blew:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100623

The tranny seems to be fine after towing the car 100 miles on a U-Haul dolly with a dead battery without removing the drive shaft :) She has zero torque bind also :)

Thanks again everyone. I would not have attempted this without USMB!

Well, I went and pulled the CEL code... It was P0106 and sure enough, I found this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84813

The hose with the filter was connected to the wrong sensor. The hose that was connected there goes to a rust colored sensor under the intake manifold and I'm not sure where it is supposed to go. The code is gone now, so I guess eventually it will throw a CEL and let me know where it needs to go. I might take a picture and see if anyone here has any ideas, but as of now everything seems to be ok.

Thanks again :)

The tranny seems to be fine after towing the car 100 miles on a U-Haul dolly with a dead battery without removing the drive shaft :) She has zero torque bind also :)

Congrats on the successful swap! If you've got an auto trans, you should consider doing a fluid flush to try and mitigate torque bind. Not sure what the procedure is for a manual trans with potentially impending torque bind, changing the fluid is probably a good start. Others will pitch in I'm sure.

Will-

Just to clarify, even after towing the car with the rear wheels on the ground for 100 miles, it has NO torque bind at all.

It had it bad when I bought the car almost 2 years ago and you are right, changing the ATF fixed it! That is a great tip!

I never did a complete "flush" though. I was kinda scared to blow everything out of a tranny with almost 200k miles on it. I drained the 4 or so liters that come out of the pan 3 or 4 times over the course of a couple of weeks. It is red and clean now, but looked like swamp water when I drained it the first time :)