Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1989 XT - Transmission questions

OK, so I am getting 60mph @ 3900 RPM, definitely not standard for a 4 cylinder.

Am I right to assume that O/D is not kicking in? If so, how the hell can I fix this? I've got to road the car up to School tomorrow -- two hours away and want to fix this asap.

Ideas?

I've been reading that the transmission needs to be at a certain temperature or something like that before it actually shifts into O/D.

Also, going from 1-2 it has a hard shift...connected? Maybe

Fluid is clean and not burned.

-Tom

The process for retrieving codes is...there's no word adequate to describe it...convoluted is about as close as i can think of. the engineer in charge of this idea was obviously a 70's burn out.

turn the key ON, shift to 3rd, turn it off, shift to reverse, scratch your arm pits, spit out the window, moon your neighbor, turn the heater on, rotate your tires, shift to 1st, then turn on Van Halen.....you may :rolleyes:, but just wait until you try it...then try it again...then finally get it to work...:lol:

but yes - that means you have a trouble code.

one item to check is to make sure the pins in the trans harness are not bent or damaged. that would really only happen if the engine or trans was ever removed though, so if they haven't been it's highly unlikey.

Okay, so john sent me http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/feb2004pdf/4EAT.pdf earlier. It says in the fsm that there is a 17 pin connector and to use pin 11 to ground to get the trouble codes to flash through the power connector. It stated through a diagram that it was on the left side of the vehicle, however I could not find a 17 pin connector on the left side of the vehicle (passenger). I did however find one on the right side of the vehicle, but it did not work as planned so I found out. Am I able to just use the FWD switch to enable the trouble codes?

Thanks In Advance,

-Tom

PS: From the looks of it though, I'll be driving a 1989 GL back to school. Good thing it's pretty much mint, eh?

is your thermostat working good, as in is it going to normal operating temp, or is it staying cold? If it stays cold, the TCM will keep the RPMs up to try to warm up the engine. The TCM code could be the 1-2 shift solenoid. What code is it throwing?

Gsary gave you the sequence, but all the joking made it hard to understand. Additionally, the process is slightly different on early 4eats than on later Legacies and such. The code #s are also different.

Here it is again.

First...For 4wd insert a fuse in the FWD holder....

For 2wd models ground the Blue/black stripe wire to the Black/red wire right next to it in the 17 pole connector(under hood, behind drivers side strut tower)

Put shifter in drive. depress 1st hold button to *on*

Turn key on.

move shifter to 3rd. 1st hold button to *off*

Move shifter to 2nd. depress 1st hold button to *on*

Now depress gas pedal fully, then let off to half throttle slowly.

At this point the POWER light should light steady for 2 seconds....then give 11 very short (.2 seconds) flashes and repeat.

Now if one or more of the 11 short flashes last for a bit longer (.8 seconds) make note of it. Count which position in the 11 flashes the longer one comes. That number of it's position will be the code #.

So if the 8th blink of the 11 quick flashes is longer, then you have code 8.

Remeber the long 2.5 second light is the begining of the sequence repeating each time. don't count it. count after it.

Thanks for that gloyale. I really just had a question in regards to how to ground that pin out. I'm not at home now, but I will have my dad do that if he's feeling up to it. I'll report back to this thread as soon as I can with results. It might be next weekend.

-Tom