Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This an observation, not a complaint. I'm on my second Forester, and my GF just bought an 09 Impreza. So, I like Subarus. The base speakers on Subarus have always been absolute junk, but the base radios were "OK".

Based on my GF's 09 Impreza, I would say that the base radios are absolute junk as well. It's no big thing, I'd much rather have a car with a really cheap sound system than a car with a really cheap engine or transmission. A few hundred bucks, and couple of hours of labor, and the problem is solved for the life of the car. Just be aware that if you buy a Suby with the base sound system, chances are that you'll be replacing it sooner than later, much sooner. It really hurts your ears.

Seeing as I seldom listen to the sound system anymore, the poor sound quality does not bother me too much right now. It may as I get more comfortable with my new Forester. In the past I've had built systems ranging from 2-12's & 200amps on down, and I admit the stock sytem in the Forester is marginal at best. I did not amp up my last vehicle when I owned that one for 5 years, I just had other things to spend my money on like gasoline and home heating oil.:D

Clarion, good brand for sure. Maybe it's the speakers responsible for the poor quality sound reproduction.:confused:

I put a new pair of Alpine speakers in my GF's '09 Impreza. If you have ever seen the base Subaru speakers you know that they are a joke.

If SOME of the '09 base head units are made by Clarion, then SOME are not. Maybe the head unit in her car is not a Clarion. I have spent quite a bit for a good sound system in my house. But I'm not all that picky about car audio. I would rather be water boarded than take a six hour trip in her Impreza with the base audio set up. The head unit is being replaced this weekend. If I smoked, I would use it for an ashtray. In my garage. Towards the back.