Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trouble Starting, Won't Catch

Hey guys,

Just replaced the headgasket in my 92 Loyale. Checked the head, no cracks and didn't seem warped. Put it all back together, and it still won't start. It has spark on all 4 plugs, and is getting gas, but won't catch. I'm almost sure the timing is correct, but how would I know for sure?

I never had the otherside apart at all, only the passenger side. I lined up the dots my best, bolted the gear on, and then managed to slide the belt on.

the dots on the cam gears should be exact opposite of each other.. one facing up and one facing down. if they are both facing the same direction then you need to redo it. it sounds like thats what you did.. its a common mistake.

Nope, we tried that too :(

I'm sure you have checked,but is the car out of gear?

If it is,you need to pull the spark plugs and try turning it then.

If that aint working,pull the dizzy and try it then.

If that still isn't doing it, then I can only guess that the starter motor has jammed the drive gear into the flywheel teeth and isn't releasing.

the dots on the cam gears should be exact opposite of each other.. one facing up and one facing down. if they are both facing the same direction then you need to redo it. it sounds like thats what you did.. its a common mistake.

You really need to have all the covers off to do this right.

And changing just one belt is asking for trouble later.

But first you have to get the coolant out of the motor. So pull the plugs and crank it over.

Did you happen to remove the carb from the intake? There could be coolant leaking into the manifold from the carb base if you did.