Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Advice on a 1997 legacy outback.....

Hey guys...I just joined the forum because I am thinking about buying a 1997 legacy outback with 92,000 miles on it. I just turned 19 today and I am going to be commuting to college in the fall about 40 min drive. I am just wondering if anyone would own an outback and can givce me the positives and negatives about their experience. The car is also being sold for 5,500 which I find pretty good becaus ethe retail says 8 grand, but I wnat to know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Kip

Hey guys...I just joined the forum because I am thinking about buying a 1997 legacy outback with 92,000 miles on it. I just turned 19 today and I am going to be commuting to college in the fall about 40 min drive. I am just wondering if anyone would own an outback and can givce me the positives and negatives about their experience. The car is also being sold for 5,500 which I find pretty good becaus ethe retail says 8 grand, but I wnat to know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Kip

These are pretty good commuter cars. Mileage is better overall in a Honda or a Toyota than a comparably equipped Subaru. But the AWD is the clincher isn't it?:brow:

Watch out for head gaskets - if the car has had any history of coolant leakage, overheating or mixing oil with the coolant (check the reservior). This means checking out the water pump as well.

Oil leaks - front crank and cam seals. Easy to spot since it drips right on top of the exhaust Y pipe just behind the crossmember. Timing belt change is usually a good idea if things progress this far.

Wheel bearings - at 80K+ the originals are probably going to start going out.

And get a small pillow for your lower back!

Good luck with your purchasing decision!;)