Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok so I am looking @ a 2002 legacy sedan with 2.5 it has 50k

I just wanted to know if there is anything to look for

ie. 2.5 head gaskett problems

forrester wheel bearring recalls

any other wierd problems

yaa know things of that nature

I am buying this car for my father so I want to make sure that it is soild so I dont have to deal with an angry old man

any insight would be great

thanks

it would be nice if all the required maintenance could be verified.. take the car before buying it, to the dealer and have it checked out by some one who is very familiar with this model looking for potential problems ..

any other wierd problems

I am buying this car for my father so I want to make sure that it is soild so I dont have to deal with an angry old man

thanks

any other wierd problems

thanks

I have the '99 with the simillar 2.5; Were I to buy one again, I would want hear it start from cold. This, because mine had the infamous cold start up knock. I found it quite anoying, and the only remedy is to have the engine rebuilt- Which I had to have done twice! Oh what a hassle that was.

Obviously not all 2.5s have these issues, moreover, my friend's '00 Outback runs like a flawless top with 80k and nary a problem. I looked it over with a fine tooth comb before recomending she buy it (35k at the time).

it would be nice if all the required maintenance could be verified.. take the car before buying it, to the dealer and have it checked out by some one who is very familiar with this model looking for potential problems ..

Good Idea:headbang:

I dont know if the seller will let me take it

Thanks for the intel

I have had subys most of my life and have read a ton of the HG threads

so I feel that I should be able to id

I plan to go over it with " a fine tooth comb" :headbang:

Is there a way to test the coolant for exhaust on site.

Ya know like a water test kit colors and such

I have the '99 with the simillar 2.5; Were I to buy one again, I would want hear it start from cold. This, because mine had the infamous cold start up knock. I found it quite anoying, and the only remedy is to have the engine rebuilt- Which I had to have done twice! Oh what a hassle that was.

Obviously not all 2.5s have these issues, moreover, my friend's '00 Outback runs like a flawless top with 80k and nary a problem. I looked it over with a fine tooth comb before recomending she buy it (35k at the time).

I have a 2001 Legacy L wagon. I really enjoy it. No problems except a whine during startup at cold temperatures, and of course the HGs.

I bought it with 48K. The first cold snap of the year with temps hovering at -10F got the HG leaking at only 58K. I had the coolant conditioner added, and it worked for a little bit. At 68K, during the first cold session of the year (not below zero) it was leaking pretty bad again.

Full warranty replacement on HG and related items, a new oxygen sensor, and timing belt for $76.

I say just check it out good, and go in for the kill :)

<<Is there a way to test the coolant for exhaust on site.

Ya know like a water test kit colors and such>>

not for what your looking for. the coolant/headgasket leak in the 2000MY and up leak externally, not internally. drive the car hard, look under the hood and under engine.

Is there a way to test the coolant for exhaust on site.

Ya know like a water test kit colors and such

no need for that test. watch the temperature gauge for high running or fluctuations and the overflow tank after runnning for bubbles or nastiness on the inner side walls. in other words, if it failed that test it would also overheat or fluctuate noticeably in temperature and teh overflow would give it away. and the 2.5 in general can pass that hydrocarbon test even with a bad gasket and in your case the 2.5 in that car leaks externally, not internally.

the real issue isn't if the car has it now, but are you prepared to deal with it in the future and willing to take that small risk associated with buying the car now?