Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The new CVT transmission

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Top

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Northeast Nebraska

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:14 AM

Has anyone driven one of these? Impressions? We have a 2006 Outback LLBean as our primary car, nice machine, but we are looking for better fuel economy and a more traditional car such as the Legacy 2.5i Limited. We also have a 98 Forester, a 2003 Baja, and a 94 Dodge pickup so we really don't need another utility type.

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,566 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:59 AM

You may want to search. There's a couple threads talking about the CVT and opinions of I believe people that have driven them.

#3 Danbob99

Danbob99

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Brier, Washington

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:58 PM

I actually drove one just yesterday. Its a very different experience, but it seems pretty stout and operates very well. Looking over the mechanical design of the trans, it is a much better design than Subaru's old CVTs (i.e. the Justy) and looks like it may be a good option.

Its worth a test drive. The gas mileage increase is pretty staggering too, 28mpg iirc.

Dan

#4 Durania

Durania

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,113 posts
  • Crossville, TN

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:48 PM

I drove one back in July. I really liked it and I'm a manual transmission person!

Go drive one, you might just enjoy it.

#5 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,541 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:14 PM

I've driven one (while Blu was getting inspected). I never espect great performance off the line with a sooby, but once it got going it was fine. It is sneaky. Since you have no gears to mentally count off, your speed can get away from you.

Otherwise i liked it.

#6 EVOthis

EVOthis

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  • Kennett Square PA

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:40 PM

Ive driven maybe half a dozen of them...extremely smooth in my opinion..we will see how they hold up down the road.... on the subject of the new boxer trannies..I cant wait until the WRX guys get a hold of the new 6 spd in the legacies and outbacks thinking its the same as the STI 6 spd. fore all it is an elongated 5spd with an extra gear..lol

Edited by EVOthis, 05 October 2009 - 08:42 PM.

#7 Durania

Durania

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,113 posts
  • Crossville, TN

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:48 PM

Ive driven maybe half a dozen of them...extremely smooth in my opinion..we will see how they hold up down the road.... on the subject of the new boxer trannies..I cant wait until the WRX guys get a hold of the new 6 spd in the legacies and outbacks thinking its the same as the STI 6 spd. fore all it is an elongated 5spd with an extra gear..lol

Haha, I've read that as well. Its still weird seeing that reverse lockout ring in a Legacy.

#8 Top

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Northeast Nebraska

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for the replies! We live in a rural area with a lot of big hills that makes a normal auto transmission hunt for the right gear with the cruise engaged. I'm assuming that with a CVT one will only see an increase in revs to match the needed power to climb the hill. What actually happens, let's say, on a quarter to half mile 4-5% grade hill at 60 mph with the cruise set?

#9 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,541 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the replies! We live in a rural area with a lot of big hills that makes a normal auto transmission hunt for the right gear with the cruise engaged. I'm assuming that with a CVT one will only see an increase in revs to match the needed power to climb the hill. What actually happens, let's say, on a quarter to half mile 4-5% grade hill at 60 mph with the cruise set?

You tell us :P

I would imagine you will see an rpm increase into the powerband and the transmission lower the effective ratios.

Also you can always manually downshift it to one of the fixed ratios.

nipper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users