Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*...Clutch Adjusting...Need Help...*

I did a search, but didnt find what I was looking for. I need help adjusting my clutch, whats the procedure? Right now I have to have the pedal all the way to the floor in order to shift into first, and reverse usually grinds because I'm assuming that the clutch isnt fully disengaging. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Ken

First - what car are we talking about?

Mostly on the cable operated cars like we discuss a lot in this section of the forum, you simply need to tighten the clutch cable on the end under the hood. There should be a large nut, and a smaller stop nut on the cable end. If the stop nut was loose, the cable can works it's way loose, and you will have the symptoms you describe.

Also - inspect the cable for seperation - the cables start to fray on the end near the clutch pedal under the dash, and also if the cable was run improperly OVER the steering column (it should go under), then the splines on the steering shaft can eat em up and cause them to wear out in that area - it also dries up the grease in the cable, and causes premature failure. I have had a cable break on me after I tightened it because it was loose due to the fraying on the pedal end, not clutch wear.

GD

make sure you tighten the right cable because there are two side by side one is for your clutch the other is for your hill stop brake the one with the threads facing the engine is the clutch that and if it thread most of the way back towards the fire wall then more then likely the pressure plate is weak and on it's way out

if it thread most of the way back towards the fire wall then more then likely the pressure plate is weak and on it's way out

Not correcting this, as it is true for a SOA clutch cable and PP, but some aftermarket cable's I have run across have threaded almost all the way back with a brand new PP. It also depends on who made the PP. The interaction between these two parts (cable, and PP) from different manufacturers seems to differ widely sometimes. Generally I have been able to make it work by adding washers and such - a goat rope for sure, but it works.

GD