Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy Fuel Filter Replacement

My friend's 95 Legacy needs a new fuel filter. Apparently, it is in/under/near the tank, and impossible to get to without dropping the tank? Is this correct, or is there a work-around known only to the elite Subaholics that frequent this forum?

Thanks.

Rob.

who told you this?

look under the hood, over near the driver side firewall. should be right there.

you gotta pull the engine out and take out the steering wheel to change it though.....

Just Kidding. it should be easy to change, hard part will be pulling off the several hoses which they make hose pliers for that type of thing to twist and grab to pull off. its a good idea to release the pressure from the pump, to do this, disconnect the connector to the fuel pump., start car it will run about a few seconds with no pressure til it dies. then there pressure is gone

Edited by bheinen74

Looking at on-line parts, a "Canister Fuel Filter next to Fuel Pump In-Tank" is offered, as well as a black tin can with a couple of pipes sticking out of it. It seems there are 2 on this model.

Rob.

Edited by robm

Endwrench says that early Legacies had only the underhood filter, and the in-tank filter came in about 2006. However, the parts place shows the in-tank filter for 1994 onwards.

I suspect this is an "only in Canada" thing. The Canadian parts house show it, but not the US ones.

It seems to be part of the fuel pump assembly. Any good way to get at this device?

Rob.

Endwrench says that early Legacies had only the underhood filter, and the in-tank filter came in about 2006. However, the parts place shows the in-tank filter for 1994 onwards.

I suspect this is an "only in Canada" thing. The Canadian parts house show it, but not the US ones.

It seems to be part of the fuel pump assembly. Any good way to get at this device?

Rob.

I've got a canadian 96 and the filter is under the hood right next to the driver's side strut tower. Don't mess withe the fuel tank.

I should be more clear: the Canadian parts houses show 2 filters, one underhood and one in the tank.

An update: The issue is a minor fuel leak from the tank. Their mechanic is suspicious of the on-tank/in-tank filter. I figure it is more likely to be a hose on the pump assembly or on the vapour separator, or corrosion of the tank itself. Their mechanic also claims there is no access port in the car for the pump assembly, which I find hard to believe. I will have a look next time I go over there, the car is only 200 odd klicks away....

Rob.

Edited by robm

I should be more clear: the Canadian parts houses show 2 filters, one underhood and one in the tank.

An update: The issue is a minor fuel leak from the tank. Their mechanic is suspicious of the on-tank/in-tank filter. I figure it is more likely to be a hose on the pump assembly or on the vapour separator, or corrosion of the tank itself. Their mechanic also claims there is no access port in the car for the pump assembly, which I find hard to believe. I will have a look next time I go over there, the car is only 200 odd klicks away....

Rob.

A mechanic who does'nt know there is an access trap sould'nt be trusted with your car.