Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Bridgestone Potenzas on my 03 OBW have worn out their welcome after only 40,000 miles and I was wondering what tires anyone else has had good luck with? I drive snow packed roads for half the year and lots of seasonal/dirt roads in the warmer months so traction and mud/snow shedding is pretty important.

I’ve never been happy with the Potenzas, they didn’t last and they don’t get a hold of much in the winter (they are quiet but that’s about it). I’ve gotten 80,000 miles out of the original set of Michelins that came on my 99 OBW and have gotten an additional 80,000+ on the replacement set of Michelins for that car. So I’m leaning that direction but would love to hear other opinions.

I just bought a set of Michelin Harmony(s) for my '98 Legacy L sedan and I's recommend them if you're already leaning in the Michelin direction. You can check out reviews at tirerack.com. They get really high scores across the board.

I'm on the East Coast too, so the few inches of snow we've been getting here every week or so proved to be no problem. The Michelins really performed well. You can shop around but I think i paid around $88 per tire installed.

Hope this helps.

Ed

the OEM bridgestone potenza's are notorious for having a bad rep, there's a million ppl bitching about the re92's. Having said that these tires were designed to be all-seasons and as all-seasons they are satisfactory in most conditions but not superb in any one area.

I've always liked Michelin and Yokohama products myself. But there are many other manufacturers that make equal or better tires for better prices, namely; toyo, kumho, falken and dunlop. I prefer to have dedicated tires for various seasons; full-winters and full-summer tires, as well as a variety of summer race tires and gravel tires, but this is your call. You'll definately notice the added safety and handling if you go with dedicated winters and summer rather than an all season.

For all-seasons i'm currently using yokohama avid h4's on the forester and they are an excellent all-round tire, but specialize more in the summer than the winter.

hope this helps

I run Potenza RE720'ies for summer and cannot complain in any department. They are standing up well to the abuse I put them through. Even wear, no rounding of the outside shoulders. Done about 20k miles and will last that much again I reckon. And to be honest, that's plenty for a good tyre. Higher wear "resistance" will tend to degrade grip.

Yokohama's are top notch for dry,warm grip, but tend to wear really fast. Potenza 720ies strick a very good compromise in this respect.

I used to be a real Michelin fan - also for my bicycle - but lately their products seem to have lagged behind.

Of course the products I am talking about the ones to be found on this side of the "pond" :D

I am currently running bridgestone blizzaks nov-apr and yokohama avid touring the rest of the year. In this area I think a snow tire is essential. I also think it is a waste of money to buy an AWD vehicle and then run all seasons in the snow. I really hate the way any car handles in the snow with all seasons.

My local news paper just ran a front page story about the new Goodyear Assurance tire. It's going to introduced this Spring. This tire has 3 different tread compounds and is claimed to be really good and still less expensive than major competitors. 80K warranty and one of those try it for 30 days guarantees, Time will tell, but this seems to be a real winner. From what I've read and heard, I think it will kick the French back to the Stone Age.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at the contis, yokohama, and the kuhmos as an alternative to the michelins. Price will probably one of the biggest factors (but not the only one).

I'll be getting a set of steel rims when I get the money, and I'll throw some snow tires on them. I'll agree with 99obw all season can't compare to a good set of snow tires, and here in WNY snow tires are well worth the money.

Originally posted by impreza555

Using Continental Conti Extreme's on MY02 Impreza. Great in the snow! It is V Rated and is a all-season performance tire. It received high marks all around. I'll have to see how it does in the summer.

I'll second that. I've had the ContiExtremeContact for about 2000 mi. They're great in all the conditions I've encountered thus far (dry, snow, wet).

Has anyone used the Michelin Hydroedge? Seems to rate quite well and I was wondering how it performs. Michelin mentions the word "minivan" in the application listing on their site for this tire. That scares me.

How about Traction T/A's? Anyone have experience?

-Heikki

http://www.tirerack.com has extensive comparison charts to help you make a decision.

I agree with those in snow country who have a set of winter and of summer wheels/tires. Except for the cost of 4 steel wheels, it costs no more over the long run to have excellent performance all year long, assuming you do the seasonal switchover yourself. It takes about an hour, twice a year.