Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Brake fluid & Oil together at last

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaroonDuneDoom

MaroonDuneDoom

Stick It To The Man!!!

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 05 February 2004 - 11:48 AM

this guy and i were talking subaru when he brought up the subject of oil leaks. He told me that the next time I add oil to my ea82 that i should pour in a couple tablespoons of brake fluid. he told me that it will expand the gaskets and help my oil leak subside a little. Is this true?

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 05 February 2004 - 12:07 PM

brake Fluid?:eek:

Dump some into his car first and run it around for a few hundred miles..

Brake fluid is nasty stuff.. I wouldn't do it.. but maybe someone here knows better than me..

#3 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 05 February 2004 - 12:42 PM

ALWAYS be sceptical of miracle cures. Some are true, some are false. The false ones can sometimes make things worse or cause other, new and more expensive problems.

I say, whatever oil you choose: Leave it alone. The company producing it has weighted up a number of factors and settled for the best compromise.
If the oil isn't doing what you want, try another type of oil, don't put additives in it!

Leaks are leaks, and replacing the seals is the way to cure the them.

#4 junkyardgabe

junkyardgabe

WRX Goal Accomplished!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Lisbon Falls

Posted 05 February 2004 - 12:53 PM

that and brake fluid usaully only works with rubber seals and gaskets and is a very temporary it will only last a week or so
most people usually do that trick in the tranny's its just like carb cleaner in your your tranny if you have a slipping tranny and you need a temporary fix these are only temporary fixs and shouldn't be used on a regular basis

#5 MaroonDuneDoom

MaroonDuneDoom

Stick It To The Man!!!

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 05 February 2004 - 01:41 PM

Originally posted by junkyardgabe
that and brake fluid usaully only works with rubber seals and gaskets and is a very temporary it will only last a week or so
most people usually do that trick in the tranny's its just like carb cleaner in your your tranny if you have a slipping tranny and you need a temporary fix these are only temporary fixs and shouldn't be used on a regular basis

so....it's partially true. looks like this guy isn't as full of $hit as he seems to be.

don't worry, i'm not gonna go dump brake fluid in my engine.

#6 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 05 February 2004 - 02:38 PM

thats crazy. silicone or hydrolic dot 5 or 3?
if you mix 5with3 it will ruin you seals, makes the rubber turn to goo. if its just hydrolic brake fluid, it should just thin you oil out a bit. sounds like a crack head idea.

#7 MaroonDuneDoom

MaroonDuneDoom

Stick It To The Man!!!

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 06 February 2004 - 02:33 AM

Originally posted by archemitis
thats crazy. silicone or hydrolic dot 5 or 3?
if you mix 5with3 it will ruin you seals, makes the rubber turn to goo. if its just hydrolic brake fluid, it should just thin you oil out a bit. sounds like a crack head idea.

yup. definitely crackhead idea. whats funny is the fact that the guy actually is a crackhead. not rock cocaine but that goddamn meth. he's got a thousand+ ideas just like it.

#8 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,355 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 06 February 2004 - 02:43 AM

sounds like used car dealer tricks, not actual repairs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users