Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Attention XT owners

I am looking at buying an XT Turbo... 1987 I think. I will confirm date...

Anyways what I'm wondering is what are re-occuring problems that you guys have had with them.

Like what parts go out compared to the 80's wagons.

And what is a decent price for a XT in good condition with a new used motor, new clutch, exhaust and push button single range 4wd?

It is for the most part a EA82 Turbo Subaru, so it will have the same basic problems as a EA82T Wagon or Sedan. I have owned about 5 of them over the years, and the only problem off hand that I can think of is the dash sometimes showing you are overheating when actually you are not. But I think that some of the digital dashes on the 85-86 vehicles did that also.

I have an 86 turbo 4wd XT, and so far not too many problems, other than being very sensitive on the cooling... I removed the AC stuff to help simplify the engine compartment, and got it a new raidator, and the fan is running all the time and I am using dex-cool instead of green antifreeze... nothing wrong with my cooling system now..

the sunroof leaks, it drips in the car whenever its raining... really sucks up here in seattle... (but i guess all subaru sunroofs do that lol)

the electronics in the car seem to be not quite as good as the older ones.. but maybe thats just mine- (and the weird shaped dash makes aftermarket stereos difficult to install)

being that it has one wiper blade, it must be bought OEM at subaru... (tried to find an aftermarket blade.. they dont fit!)

I think all 87.5 and up XTs have the auto retard-tract seatbelts... they usually spaz out and stop working eventually from what I have seen...

air struts.... they are either good or bad... if they are in that model.

thats all i can think of for the time-

they are very fun to drive though!

i was posting under the impression that you had a particular XT in mind - because of the specific replaced parts in your question - and didn't want to disclose the price ;)

it's all kind of arbitrary. you and i would probably list an exact same car at different prices which we both felt fair, but we could debate usefully over the price of someone else's. good luck with finding a good one, i want an XT too :D

well considering the engine is a new/used with year warranty, the clutch is new along iwth the turbo and the exhaust, it seems like it should be in pretty good shape. The interior is very clean and the body has very little rust on it. I looked at the exhaust when it was off the car and it looked very good also. No rust