Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to this board. Not sure if I am posting in the correct category. Sorry for repetition, but need help! I have the opportunity to purchase a 1990 Legacy for $900, but the only thing that it needs is a water pump. I would like to replace it myself. Does anyone know what is involved or how difficult it would be? Also, I am interested to know if $900 is a fair price for this car - very clean inside and out, 109,000 miles. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

I was able to chg. the water pump on my 97 Legacy 2.2 with the help of the Haynes manuel. If you run in to problems you can get advice here. The one problem I had was getting the crank pully bolt to break loose, I thought it was going to break off before it broke loose. Harbor Freight tools sells a large pipe chain wrench which works great for holding the pully.

You are creeping up on the 120K service. You may as well figure a timing belt while you're changing the water pump plus crank and cam seals. Maybe a tensioner too. Changing accesory belts would be a good idea too.

Get a quote from a dealer and let the seller know you'll need to put $XXX into it in about 10K miles.

Plenty of us have done a 2.2 t-belt/H20 pump change, so you can probably get more help here than any manual :)

Do any and all oil seals that you can reach while everything is off. Front crank, cams, oil pump if you like. I only did the front crank, and now that it looks like my left cam is leaking, I wish Id'a done it the last time :(

Also get a new tensioner. That way, you don't hafta worry about compressing the old one (which can get complicated) and the new one will perform better anyway.

Originally posted by subyluvr2212

Plenty of us have done a 2.2 t-belt/H20 pump change, so you can probably get more help here than any manual :)

Do any and all oil seals that you can reach while everything is off. Front crank, cams, oil pump if you like. I only did the front crank, and now that it looks like my left cam is leaking, I wish Id'a done it the last time :(

Also get a new tensioner. That way, you don't hafta worry about compressing the old one (which can get complicated) and the new one will perform better anyway.

I have worked on several Legacy motors with more than 150,000 miles and have never replaced a cam seal and have never had one leak. IMHO, I wouldn't bother, it's not that big a deal to do later if need be. Timing belt, yes of course.

I've compressed many many tensioners in a vise in less than 2 minutes. Be patient, why waste money.

There's nothing in there that doesn't make sense, just be cautious and align the timing marks according to the book.

• 1 year later...
New to this board. Not sure if I am posting in the correct category. Sorry for repetition, but need help! I have the opportunity to purchase a 1990 Legacy for $900, but the only thing that it needs is a water pump. I would like to replace it myself. Does anyone know what is involved or how difficult it would be? Also, I am interested to know if $900 is a fair price for this car - very clean inside and out, 109,000 miles. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

I have the same water pump question on my '92. That sounds like a good deal. I bought my '92 Leg Wgn @40K mi (3 years ago for $4500). From the info that I've read from other members, you might undergo replacing some of the other seals in the engine, including a timing belt replacement. I think that it's priced at $900 b/c another $600 dollars needs to be put into it to get it tip top. That's just a guess, however.