Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where is the radiator ground wire on my 96 Legacy wagon?

That radiator ground wire is right next to the blinker fluid reservoir.

kidding aside, what makes you think the radiator should have a ground wire?

x2...never seen a ground wire attached to the radiator on the newer stuff.

Hmm Ive worked on thousands of Subarus and never really recall any modern subaru at least with a ground wire for the radiator...I have a haynes manual also for my 96 Legacy from way back and there is some discrepancy in it...

Hmm Ive worked on thousands of Subarus and never really recall any modern subaru at least with a ground wire for the radiator...I have a haynes manual also for my 96 Legacy from way back and there is some discrepancy in it...

Haynes says:

"Check the ground wire attached between the radiator and the chassis. If this wire is not well-grounded, the fan will not run."

I guess I'll ignore it....

I think they meant between the radiator FAN and the chassis. There is no ground wire, or any other wire for that matter, attached to the radiator itself.

Both fan ground wires are black and should ground to the chassis on the inner part of the frame rails on either side of the radiator. They're easily visible and reachable from the top.

• 4 years later...

Haynes says:

"Check the ground wire attached between the radiator and the chassis. If this wire is not well-grounded, the fan will not run."

I guess I'll ignore it....

Maybe one can ignore it, but better to look the beast in the eye first; to state that there is no such animal because one has not oneself seen it is not looking the beast in the eye! I have at least 3 online references to it, two of them IMAGES and the third a written references. Check them out, please (I am keenly interested in this topic because I too have a "loose" ground wire that looks like it may go to the radiator - and it WAS connected to SOMETHING before my helper yanked it off without making note from whence he removed it, that much is obvious from the shiny spot where a washer-nut assembly kept it shiny, while around this shiny area is a grey-black layer of the usual "engine grease", i.e., petroleum fluids mixed with dust). In the images, you will see the ground wire attached to the body near the battery. Exactly like on my 1986 GL Loyale, 4DR, FWD, EA82 Engine, 2bbl carb [i omit hub cap color... ^_^ ].

Thx!

subaruru

The written reference is the online Subie DIY repair manual in PDF format (look on page 392, or just plug in "radiator ground wire" in the search function (look for the loupe) and it should take you there): How to Keep Your Subaru Alive: http://www.scribd.com/doc/24542568/How-to-Keep-Your-Subaru-Alive

rx6.JPG20951920015_large.jpg

Note added 04Sept2014: Here is a link to an USMB discussion RE the radiator fan which, it is suggested, will not function UNLESS the radiator is grounded: Temperature Switch - Radiator Fan: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/114204-temperature-switch-radiator-fan/

Edited by subaruru

EA81 cars had a grounded radiator, and used a one wire thermoswitch that connected to the radiator ground when hot to activate the fan.  References in haynes or chiltons manuals to a radiator ground are from the EA81 era.

EA82 cars.......do not have this....the thermoswitch has 2 wires one of which is direct to ground....the other goes to the fan - so when the switch closes the fan turns on.

EJ radiators have a relay that is controlled by the ECU..not a thermoswitch.

EA81 cars had a grounded radiator, and used a one wire thermoswitch that connected to the radiator ground when hot to activate the fan.  References in haynes or chiltons manuals to a radiator ground are from the EA81 era.

EA82 cars.......do not have this....the thermoswitch has 2 wires one of which is direct to ground....the other goes to the fan - so when the switch closes the fan turns on.

EJ radiators have a relay that is controlled by the ECU..not a thermoswitch.

Thanks infinitely for this clarification, Gloyale! Now I just have to figure out where the business end of the corresponding ground wire on my EA82 goes... it doesn't seem to be long enough to reach the fan itself, but maybe the alternator or the A/C "freon" pump, though, what point, that?!

Thanks again!

Thanks infinitely for this clarification, Gloyale! Now I just have to figure out where the business end of the corresponding ground wire on my EA82 goes... it doesn't seem to be long enough to reach the fan itself, but maybe the alternator or the A/C "freon" pump, though, what point, that?!

Thanks again!

If you are talking about the wire that is attached to the body in front of the battery....that wire should go to the engine block.....or more correctly, to the bolt that is attached to the end of the Water pump extension tube.  There is a ground eyelet in the Coil wiring harness that also gets bolted to the same point.

Has nothing to do with the radiator or the radiator fan....just gives ground to the body from engine.

If you are talking about the wire that is attached to the body in front of the battery....that wire should go to the engine block.....or more correctly, to the bolt that is attached to the end of the Water pump extension tube.  There is a ground eyelet in the Coil wiring harness that also gets bolted to the same point.

Has nothing to do with the radiator or the radiator fan....just gives ground to the body from engine.

Thanks for the many contributions... I see that the Labor Day holiday is over! :wacko:  :)

I'll take your advice, Gloyale, and see if I can't find the spot on the engine where that ground wire attaches.