Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Public thanks to a great friend! ~ Rear Disc Brake Swap

Hello Everyone!

For many Years I Dreamed about to Swap a Rear Disc Brakes in the Place of the Drum Brakes on one of my Subaru Wagons, Because due to the Hard Use since 1985, the Drums had to be Rectified at a Machine Shop Twice (They Became Oval), and they Needs a very Thick Brake Shoes to Make it Work.

Due to That, the rear shoes needed Adjustments every two Weeks, or the Auxiliary Brake Pump's Piston will go all the Way Out with the Unwanted Consequences... But to find Rear Disc Brakes for the FWD EA82 Subie isn't easy ... and it is even Worse in my Li'l Country.

So a Great Friend here in the USMB contacted me: He had a Complete Set of those Rear Disc Brakes and just asked me for another Subaru Part to Trade ... Great Deal! ... ;) ...

But I Searched and Searched and Searched for that Part... All Across Honduras (and the Rest of Central America with some Help) and the Part that he asked to me was Almost impossible to Find! :banghead: Because it has the LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) Specs and our JunkYards only have Cars that came from USA! ... Also the local Subaru Dealer told me that the part was Discontinued!

Long Story Short: it Took me more than Two years to Find Brand New, some Pieces that goes inside that Part (More info
~► Here, on Posts Nº 29 and 30) and Finally I Sent them to USA ... and he Sent me the Complete Rear Discs Set! :banana:

So I am Afraid of not finding the Right Words to Say: Thank You, Mr. Jerry (Bratsrus1) for your Kind Patience and effort, which I Really Appreciate ... you'll Never Know How Thankful I am! 
:)

I Wanted to Share This story and Pictures of the Rear Disc Brake Set that he Sent to Honduras for Me:

So My Dream of Having Rear Disc Brakes Came True!

th_bananadance.gif?t=1278933462

This is How the Rear Disc Brakes Came Last Weekend, Well Packed in a Box:

RearDiscs-Box1.gif?t=1278929903

This is How the Stuff Looked just Out of the Box!

RearDiscs-OntheFoor5.gif?t=1278931845

A Brief Description of the Parts in the Picture:

RearDiscs-OntheFoor1.gif?t=1278931998

So, if you Notice from the Upper Photos, my Subies Run a Different Lug Pattern on the Wheels, not the Subaru Standard; I Did that Long time ago in order to swap more "Standard" Rims ... So I Have to Redrill the Lug Pattern on This Rear Disc Brakes also, to Fit the Rest of the Car's Pattern and Continue Using the Same Rims  :D

RearDiscs-OntheFoor3.gif?t=1278932499

So I Worked this Weekend at a Friend's Machine Shop;

and I Already Changed the Pattern ... :grin: ... Look at this Pic for Details:

RearDiscs-NewPattern.gif?t=1278932715

Well... Let me Know what do you Think About all this. 

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
to Center the Images! ;)

I Forget to Mention that he Cleaned Every Part and even Painted it with Silver Paint...

The Set came Complete with the Ball Bearings, Seals, Screws, Everything.

It Looks like New and that made to the Customs Clearance's officer to Think that the Kit was Brand New! :)

Thank you for all your nice Comments!

... is that a 4x100 or a 4x113 setup I see there? :)

The Original Subaru Setup is 4 X 140 mm, I Changed that bolt Pattern, the New Pattern is 4 X 114.3 mm, the Same Found on many, many cars worldwide, such like some Nissan, Hyundai, Datsun, Ford, Honda, Toyota, etc; and is Very Common, Popular and much Easier to Find alternate Rims.

Kind Regards.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice machine work on the hubs!

So are you able to get pads and caliper kits and such locally? Just curious how it works for sourceing parts, etc

If you need US parts don't forget to send me a PM, etc. I can get that stuff as well - our yards are full of such things.

GD

Thank you GD for your Kind Words.

It used to be somehow "Easy" to obtain parts for Old-School Subies, 'cos the Local Dealer used to be full of 'em, but now the Story is Changing... Please follow This Link for Further Details:

~► Here.

Kind Regards.

... I'm wondering if you were able to rebuild your 2.7 Wagon ...

Thank you Steve for your Kind Words, I Hope I could Rebuild it Someday but Now I have not enough money to Buy a New (to me) used Engine for it; the Body is Already Straighten but it has Missing some few parts like Corner Lights; Basically the whole car only needs a New Engine & Radiator to go back to the Road again.

But here in my Country, Those are Very expensive.

I Used this Rear Disc Brakes with an Alternate Brake Caliper, sourced from another brand car but is a Direct Fit, in order to Retrofit Rear Parking Brakes (e-Brakes) on my beloved Subaru "BumbleBeast"

Here you can see Detailed Photos & explanations of such Mod:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/129779-the-definitive-rear-e-brake-retrofit-solution/

Kind Regards.