Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about Timing Belt, Oil Pump-97 Outback

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cbone

cbone

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • denver, co

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:52 PM

Greetings all and thanks in advance for any help. I have a 97 outback wagon, 75K, took it into the shop, they said the oil pump gasket was bad and leaking oil. i never had any oil lose when changing the oil and never had black smoke or a puddle underneath. anyway, the said since they were doing the gasket to also change the timing belt. they did that work and a few days later the car overheated and the check engine light went on. had to then replace thermostat, thermostat gasket, lower hose from radiator and still the engine light is on. i have never had any problems with this wagon and as soon as i take it in, they tell me the oil is leaking, they replace timing belt, the car overheats for the first time ever and the check engine light remains on. idled rough for a bit after the mechanics did radiator, but now seems all right. please help, what's giong on with my wagon?:mad:

#2 outback_97

outback_97

Eat, Live, Breathe Subaru

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 19 February 2004 - 03:47 PM

cbone:

What prompted you to take it to the shop? I'm just curious if it had some other problem.

I can't answer all of your questions, but maybe a few.

It's common for the oil pump seals to leak in this car, it happened to mine and many have reported this problem. Oil can collect at the bottom of the timing belt cover and they may have been concerned that oil getting on the timing belt would have shortened its life. On mine oil was seeping through the timing belt cover gasket, and blowing back onto the oil pan and exhaust. Didn't notice much, and no pooling below the car because it only leaked when the car was running. Very little oil loss (< 1/2 quart in 3000 miles).

Random overheating can be a sign of head gasket problems, but that's just a possibility and hopefully not the case here. Can you get the codes stored in the car checked to see what the CEL is? That's what I would suggest doing.

Steve

edit: here a link re: the oil pump leaking thru tb cover:
http://www.ultimates...ming belt cover

#3 cbone

cbone

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • denver, co

Posted 19 February 2004 - 04:16 PM

Steve,

Thanks for your feedback and I will check out the link you provided. The car belongs to my girlfriend and she took it in because she said it was due for maintenance.

I too am hoping it isn't the head gasket. I will try and get the codes, as I know the mechanics did hook it up and mentioned something to her.

Thanks again for your feedback and great picture of your wagon up there in the mountains of Utah.

#4 theotherskip

theotherskip

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Philly, PA

Posted 19 February 2004 - 05:18 PM

people often associate trouble after service with the service that was just performed. it sounds like you are having different problems. assuming they didn't change the water pump, they probably didn't mess with the cooling system at all. the oil leak is a common problem on this engine, as are head gasket failures. if you see reoccuring overheating, have it checked.

i wrote a site about the head gasket failures. hopefully the new thermostat will fix yours. you can view it here .

#5 SevenSisters

SevenSisters

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • Cleve/Akron Ohio

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:18 PM

I have not done a timing belt replacement yet, but is it common to UNPLUG the fans or remove the radiator when the TB is changed to gain access?

#6 theotherskip

theotherskip

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Philly, PA

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:48 PM

it is not necessary, but buys you a lot of extra space. i would guess that subaru tech do not remove it, as they are very familiary with how to work around it quickly.

#7 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:59 PM

I would almost guarantee that the subaru tech removes the fans when doing a timing belt. It only takes a couple of minutes and it frees up a lot of space. I agree with Skip that removing the radiator is unnecessary and it is unlikely that they did.

The overheating does seem a little suspicious to me.

#8 svxpert

svxpert

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 19 February 2004 - 07:06 PM

<<Greetings all and thanks in advance for any help. I have a 97 outback wagon, 75K, took it into the shop,>>

Was is a Subaru Service Shop? or just a fix-all shop?

#9 theotherskip

theotherskip

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Philly, PA

Posted 19 February 2004 - 07:09 PM

whoops. posted to the wrong thread. all moved now...

#10 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 5,956 posts
  • Texas

Posted 19 February 2004 - 07:35 PM

cbone - is this a Legacy or Impreza outback?

Also, does it overheat at stops then cool down again when moving briskly? If so, could be the fan not coming on.

#11 richierich

richierich

• 3,760 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 February 2004 - 02:39 AM

I don't know of a mechanic that doesn't take off the fans to do the timingbelts. Maybe they took off the radiator hoses? Then did not refill the the motor through the top radiator hose and created a bubble? I see it about once a month, mostly people working on their own vehicles:-p. Replacing the radiator problably solved the problem if they refilled it correctly.

Just a stab in the dark.

What is the check engine code. Did they clear it, after the replaced the radiator, etc.?

#12 cbone

cbone

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • denver, co

Posted 20 February 2004 - 04:59 PM

thanks everyone for all this great feedback. i am an old toyota landcruiser FJ60 man personally, but have found this bulletin board fantastic. you all have provided me with some great info. I was not able to find out the codes, but the car is not overheating at this point and it is a Legacy wagon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users