Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removal of Altitude Compensator

I have a 1987 Subaru GL wagon 4wd with Hitachi carb. There is no O2 sensor or feedback on this vehicle. It was orginally sold in Wyoming and spent most of its life in Colorado. It is equipped with an altitude compensator for elevations above 4000 ft. I live in Indiana. Elevation is approx 750 ft. I would like to remove the compensator. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

The altitude compensator should automatically open above a certain altitude, it should be disengaged at your altitude. If the car states that "this vehicle has been modified for principal use at high altitude" than it has been modified as such, but I am not quite sure exactly what that modification entails.

All I have is the owner's manual on page 7. There appears to be some apparatus coming off the air breather which is connected to the carb and the intake. I am assuming this is the device which adds additional air at higher altitudes. The manual says to remove if operating at altitude below 4000 ft.