Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, can someone find a typical coolant flow diagram for me (or at least break it down for me in text)? Something that shows the typical direction of flow, and in what order everything is in? The coolant system is a bit different on my buggy so I'm trying to figure out what the factory set up was as a point of reference. I'm coming from the air-cooled VW world, so I'm unfamiliar with this stuff!

Edited by Speedbuggy

Hi, can someone find a typical coolant flow diagram for me? Something that shows the typical direction of flow, and in what order everything is in? The coolant system is a bit different on my buggy so I'm trying to figure out what the factory set up was as a point of reference. I'm coming from the air-cooled VW world, so I'm unfamiliar with this stuff!

flow in the block?

Not really..other than confirming that's where the water pump is.. but where does it go after leaving the engine and does it leave from the top or bottom? How does the route differ between a closed or open thermostat?

fluid comes into the radiator from the top and leaves from the lower hose I'm about 95% sure on that.. now as far as the closed T-stat not too sure about that.

That is correct.. and I hope someone can chime in about how the flow is with the T-stat open and closed.

i guess i could be wrong about this, but the water doesn't flow with the t-stat closed. (except maybe to the heater core, not sure about that.) the whole point of it being closed is to prevent flow so it will warm up.

i guess i could be wrong about this, but the water doesn't flow with the t-stat closed. (except maybe to the heater core, not sure about that.) the whole point of it being closed is to prevent flow so it will warm up.

if I can remember (tired) I think the water pump has a bypass so it will flow around until it warms up

Wouldn't that damage the waterpump?

Mostly what changes is flow through the radiator. The other parts of the system will still have flow regardless of thermostat position. I would assume that it would be greater than normal flow rate during the warm up period due to the vacuum created by the water pump. It normally pulls large amounts of coolant from the radiator, which can't be done if the thermostat is closed. This builds vacuum in the system on the "pull" side of the impeller, which will accelerate coolant flow from any other hoses or passages leading to the water pump.

There will be a small amount of coolant moving in the radiator, but not a significant amount until the thermostat heats up and opens.

Found this flow diagram in porcupine73's wonderful collection (thanks, porc!)

It's for a '96 EJ22 but I think the flow would be the same. Don't know how to paste it in here but here's a link:

http://www.porcupine73.com/pics/coolant/coolant-flow-diagram.gif

Finally, that one is much clearer. Thanks for your help everyone.

Also, where can I find the rest of this collection you refer too?

Edited by Speedbuggy

Thanks, johnc! But where did you get the "xxxxx from? Or do you type it out like I just did?!!

you type it out , but you need to make sure it is typed correctly. there is a forward / in the second set of brackets. this format is very similar to the "click here" links you can insert in a text. there is a link in my signature. apparently this is standard formatting for "internet" stuff.

or

if you open a photobucket account and up load some pics there you can click on the 'IMG code' below an uploaded pic and it will format your pic for you. then you just paste it in the post. you can test it by sending yourself an email with a pic inserted.

Edited by johnceggleston