Ultimate Subaru Message Board

valve repair

whats your location, it might be easier and cheaper to get a new head at the junkyard. however unless your in the Pacific North West that may be easier said than done. I don't know prices on new valves in heads, but there will be a certain amount of machining to be done to make the new valve fit, it would be bennificial at this time to get both heads off and put in all new valves and guides, and possibly seats if there hammered

who is taking the head off/ you or the mechanic? if you have the head off yourself, you may want to invest in a valve spring tool, it will pay for itself if you do valve seals on your own work, the tool is cheaper than the mechanic

but if you have the head off, the mechanic wouldnt cost as much, buit he will still charge you an hour at rate

without looking at the car yet, that's what the mechanic told me over the phone, that it was probably a valve problem. it all started when i broke the timing belt. once the belts were replaced---------engine misfires and no compression. i thought since it was noninterferance engine, once belts were replaced everything would be cool

I think Emily may have made a typo. The engine is noninterferential. A broken timing belt will not cause a bent/broken valve. I would be more inclined to believe that the timing belts were installed incorrectly. That would cause it to run like crap and have low compression.

sounds to me that if the car runs bad AFTER BEL SERVICE, they were installed wrong

you can check the belt timing by removing the outer belt covers, and the bellhousing window rubber plug

read this if tou would like to check the belt timing yourself, or show this to your mechanic

http://www.warpthree.com/milesfox/subaru/service/timingbelt.htm

there are some 720 deg crank rotation for the procedure

line up the first cam, rotate 360 deg, line up the other cam, rotate 360. then rotate again to bring the first cam back to the peginning step, them rotate till you get 0degBTDC to do the distributor

the belt alignment marks will line up when ALL the pistons are in the middle of their stroke, NOT the ignition timing

its common for a mechanic to line up both belts up, to odeg tdc, when the cams should be pointing opposite, with the 3 marks in line