Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 speed trans.

swilde20

It will. You may have to change from hydraulic set up to cable. And the rear diff to keep the ratio's the same. As simple as moving the pin location for the clutch fork. It will use 4 bolts instead of 6 bolts. Otherwise, drop in swap.

Edited by Qman

Would a 5 speed from a 99 Forester work on a 97 legacy with a 2.2 engine?
yes...depending what you mean by "work on a". it'll bolt up just fine.

final drive ratios may differ. simplest work around is to get a matching rear diff. one annoyance is that final drive ratios aren't nearly as simple to determine as you'd think. sometimes a simple "year, make, model" really doesn't narrow it down to %100 accuracy, if it was that simple i'd know what these two vehicles were like i know what motors are in them. although manual trans usually have more info available for this. my *guess* is that the 97 EJ22 is a 3.9 and the forester a 4.11 - but maybe they're both 4.11? that's the only two final drive ratios available, so they're one of those two.

the 99 Forester may be hydraulic and the 97 EJ22 legacy's i've seen are cable operated. you could try and work around that, just pointing out a possibility.

there was speed sensor change somewhere in Phase II era stuff but i'm not real well versed in when that occured and exactly what it means - but i think it was after 99.

Edited by grossgary

You will have to thread the lower starter hole on the transmission and install a stud there - when they went to the 8-bolt bell housing they eliminated the starter mounting stud and instead put one of the 8 bolts in that same location.

You will only use the top bolts and the bottom engine studs.

You will have to retain the wireing and switches from the '97 as the '99 is likely going to have different plugs that don't match the '97 harness.

As mentioned the clutch fork and pivot will have to be changed for the '97 cable stuff.

It's pretty much a bolt-in though. I went the other direction recently - put a '97 tranny into a '99. Those '99 8-bolt transmissions are very expensive - got a great deal on a '97 with low mileage and a warantee so it made more sense to go that way.

GD