Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EJ22: Puttting used Phase 1 into 99 OBS with blown Phase 2?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gavinl

gavinl

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Dublin, OH

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:06 PM

I searched but could not find a definitive answer.

The car in question is a 1999 Impreza OBS MT with a seized motor due to previous owner driving with oil filter fallen off after a quick lube job.

So I'm pondering, in the interest of getting this car back on the road with last $$ spent, can a donor Phase 1 motor (long block, intake, injectors, etc.) be a direct swap for a 99 OBS (originally phase 2)?

Is the wiring harness and ECU off the phase 1 motor required?

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:10 PM

No and the phase I engines are not an upgrade in reliability. That would be a bad idea - mostly because the phase I would require a different manifold that is not compatible with the phase-II harness.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder, 08 February 2011 - 11:12 PM.

#3 gavinl

gavinl

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Dublin, OH

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:16 PM

Dang, thanks for the insight GD.

Guess I'll have to keep sourcing for a cost effective used Phase 2 or think about rebuilding the seized motor zzz

#4 gavinl

gavinl

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Dublin, OH

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:33 PM

One more Q, I noticed that many listings are indicating 00-01 EJ22 (assume they are phase 2) but does not include 99 models. Is 99 a transition year between Ph1 and Ph2?

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:50 PM

No - if it's got plugs in the valve covers - it's a phase-II. They only used that engine from '99 to '01 so they are hard to find.

You might looking into putting in the EJ253/251 instead - also a phase-II engine but more powerful and larger displacement.

GD

#6 gavinl

gavinl

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Dublin, OH

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:35 AM

Thanks again GD.

Keeping with the KISS mindset, is the EJ251 a direct swap? It'll mate up to the EJ22 Ph2 MT and use the same sensors/wiring harness? :rolleyes:

#7 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,093 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:54 AM

Keeping with the KISS mindset, is the EJ251 a direct swap? It'll mate up to the EJ22 Ph2 MT and use the same sensors/wiring harness? :rolleyes:

no it's not plug and play (always) but it is easy. bolt EJ25 intake onto the EJ22 (a thing you can't do with older engines but you can here). count the triggers on the sprockets and swap them if they're different. but that's really easy and being inteference you should be installing a new timing belt anyway IMO.

you could also bolt your Phase II EJ22 heads onto a Phase I Ej22 block and install that. not sure how bad the drop in compression would be, but it would definitely run.

#8 gavinl

gavinl

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Dublin, OH

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:29 AM

Let's Frankenmotor the OBS! (1999)

So let's say I was to reuse my EJ22 Ph2 heads and toss in a EJ25 short block, which EJ25 variant will bolts up to a 99 5MT (originally with the EJ22 Ph2)?

#9 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,093 posts
  • WV

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:49 AM

any EJ25. well, i haven't checked the 2010's yet but i doubt you're looking for that new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users