Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22: Puttting used Phase 1 into 99 OBS with blown Phase 2?

I searched but could not find a definitive answer.

The car in question is a 1999 Impreza OBS MT with a seized motor due to previous owner driving with oil filter fallen off after a quick lube job.

So I'm pondering, in the interest of getting this car back on the road with last $$ spent, can a donor Phase 1 motor (long block, intake, injectors, etc.) be a direct swap for a 99 OBS (originally phase 2)?

Is the wiring harness and ECU off the phase 1 motor required?

Keeping with the KISS mindset, is the EJ251 a direct swap? It'll mate up to the EJ22 Ph2 MT and use the same sensors/wiring harness? :rolleyes:
no it's not plug and play (always) but it is easy. bolt EJ25 intake onto the EJ22 (a thing you can't do with older engines but you can here). count the triggers on the sprockets and swap them if they're different. but that's really easy and being inteference you should be installing a new timing belt anyway IMO.

you could also bolt your Phase II EJ22 heads onto a Phase I Ej22 block and install that. not sure how bad the drop in compression would be, but it would definitely run.