Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New 1st gen owner.. knows nothing

Another thing to consider when resealing your oil pump:

Over time, the oil pump shaft seal wears a groove in the shaft, making sealing difficult if not impossible. The fix for this is to get a seal that is shallower or deeper, effectively moving the sealing point to a new, unworn location. I don't know if the shaft size is the same on your car as on my EA82-series, so this part may not interchange, however it may be worth looking for. Check and see if they list the same seal for the EA71 as for the early EA82 (1985- late eighties), and if they do, you can just order the extended seal, which they should be able to cross reference from NAPA part number 7012. If the seals are different, a good parts guy should be able to find a deeper one to fit your application.

Originally posted by SUBARU3

No Gen one had true factory AC. All was installed in the states with "factory approved and designed" systems.

Interesting... reason why I figured it was factory was the metal plate affixed to the compressor.. saying Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd, like it does on top of the air cleaner... that and with the dash controls looking rather "official" if you can understand what I mean.

---

With oil leaking from the bottom of the pump; would there be any real way for oil to be slung about the engine compartment? Took my fiance for a ride in it last night, a ride which involved a short run on I-10.. well after the get-off ramp, I was smoking big time, and upon further inspection, found oil slung all about the engine compartment... inside of the hood... everywhere. From the rate I saw oil coming from the pump yesterday, I think there may be something else that I couldnt see from the underside yesterday afternoon.

On one hand, I really like the little car.. I definately can see why there "little troopers" as they've got heart...and driving an older, classic car in itself is fun. But on the other hand.. I need something that will run without major issues. Fiance says to get rid of it. :\ I'm sorta caught in the middle. I like the car, but if theres plenty more than the oil pump leaking... I'm not sure what I'll do..... but for the right price.. everythings for sale. :D I wont part it out; as I'm an old Z guy.. and seeing good solid running cars parted out is an awful sight. :eek: Theres only minimal surface rust on this puppy.. it runs, and drives. Unless it gets hit by a large truck or something, this roo will go out in one piece.

Since NAPA, Autozone, and Discount are without a gasket or kit here locally, I guess I'll clean it up nice and hi-temp RTV it to see if thats all thats leaking. Theres only the two bolts holding the pump on right?

Raven

found oil slung all about the engine compartment... inside of the hood... everywhere.

This is a VERY easy fix. Pull the crank pulley off, pop the old front main oil seal out, put a new one in, and put the crank back on. Its that easy. I had the same problem with my 79 wagon, oil EVERYWHERE in the engine compartment. I haven't fired it up since I did the complete reseal on the motor but if you look in my gallery, you'll see my very beautiful EA71 1600:D

http://usmb.net/gallery/albuo62/AUT_2602

http://usmb.net/gallery/albuo62/AUT_2603

http://usmb.net/gallery/albuo62/AUT_2605

I got my full engine gasket set off of the bay of e for 20 bucks shipped to my door:D I just looked for a few days and found it. If you need anymore help, there's the best of the best Subaru guys here:D