Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installing Winch - Need Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DrFrankenSoob

DrFrankenSoob

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Arlington

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:12 PM

I have a 3500 ATV winch I want to install on my 89 Wagon for fun....has anyone tried this? Can you weld it to the stock front bumper? Or bolt...any help appreciated!:banghead:

#2 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:16 PM

You need to have a serious mount, the stock bumper is not going to hold up to the forces that a winch will provide.

Also, 3500 is not anywhere near what you need, sure, there are guys out there that have ones that are similar sized, but when you're stuck in mud/snow/dirt the rolling resistance of the car is much higher than it's weight. Be sure to double the line with a pulley and be sure that it can handle 7000 pounds weight if you do that.

#3 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,629 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

I have a 3500 ATV winch I want to install on my 89 Wagon for fun....has anyone tried this? Can you weld it to the stock front bumper? Or bolt...any help appreciated!:banghead:

remove the plastic off the bumper and weld up a mount that ties into the pinch welds

#4 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,135 posts
  • WA

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:10 PM

This is the winch on my Hatch. Its a Warn 6000 mounted to a standard winch bumper thats mounted to a steel channel front bumper. It has pretty beefy mounting brackets mounting it to the frame rails.
I have actually bent the mounts winching myself (and others) over the years.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Turbone, 12 February 2011 - 08:13 PM.

#5 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:10 AM

I have a 9k winch on my Loyale, I built a bumper that uses the stock mounting points, plus has a pair of braces that run down to an angle iron bolted into the lower radiator support. The winch, being mounted on top of the bumper, will try to rotate the bumper down as it pulls. Bracing into the radiator support prevents that. I have watched the headlight protector loops move an inch forward from the hood as the body flexes under full pull. I have used it to pull fullsize trucks out in the snow. I'd put it in 2wd, spin the wheels to sink the front end, and put the parking brake on. After pulling that lines worth, chuck it in 4wd and it would back right out. The truck owner was a bit embarrassed that my wagon was able to maneuver to any point I needed to get a line on him.

9k is really too much winch for a subaru. For the amount it got used vs the weight it put on the nose of the car it wasn't worth it. A 3.5k with a snatch block should do you fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users