Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leone/Loyale ECU

Welcome to the USMB!

No need to apologize for your English. It is better than my Ukranian or Russian. :) I imagine that you normally use the Cyrillic alphabet also? I am impressed by your language skills.

There was only primitive diagnostic ability on that ECU; it uses proprietary self diagnosis, displaying a "Check Engine Light" (CEL) on the dashboard that indicates that there is a current problem, an LED (Light Emitting Diode, if LED does not translate properly from English) on the ECU (which is under the steering column), and diagnostic connectors that are located near the ECU.

There is very little support from companies other than Subaru, and no performance parts other than what was originally offered on the car. In the USA, these were marketed as mildly "sporty" versions of a basic economy car.

I do not know of any person who has produced any modifications (such as a "chip") for these ECUs.

We teach in school English 10 years, but I take the help of online translator because ABC smoking :lol:

Here in Ukraine is a very rare car, usually when Journeying through the streets of all thought "that the UFO"

And how do you raise your power Loyale

Hi Wolfram LEONE

I have Leones many years and for many years try to take any diagnostics data from yellow and black connectors located under hood near brake booster. But no success. Also visited many internet pages about Subarus, but normal diagnostics started from 1989 Legacy. Maybe I,m wrong? Why are theese connectors with more than 7 pins going directly to ECU and are marked as diagnostics in wiring diagram?

Janis.

We teach in school English 10 years, but I take the help of online translator because ABC smoking :lol:

Here in Ukraine is a very rare car, usually when Journeying through the streets of all thought "that the UFO"

And how do you raise your power Loyale

In the USA, we try to teach English in schools for 12 years. Sometimes it still does not get learned. :-\ Foreign languages do not get much teaching time in the USA; I speak only English and computer (machine language). :grin: If any of my words or phrases do not translate well, please inform me. In the USA, we use many idioms and "slang" words that may not make sense. (Does the word "slang" have meaning outside of English?)

Many of the USMB members do not like the Leone engine, especially the turbochaged version. They have valid views of reliability problems and the cost of getting minor increases in power. But these are opinions and views, and it is your car to do with as you choose.

It is difficult to reliably increase power for the turbo Leone. It was an inexpensive car that was not built to tolerate modifications. You should check to make sure that the cooling system is working to optimum: New hoses, new thermostat, and the radiator in good condition. Most Turbo Leones fail due to cooling system problems. Adding an oil cooler would help reliability.

The most useful modification might be adding an intercooler in the intake system. The turbo heats the intake air greatly, with temperatures reaching 100degC. An intercooler can reduce the temperature greatly, reducing the chance of detonation and lowering engine operating temperatures.

The ECU is primitive compared to more modern designs, and the fuel injection system is marginal for handling modifications. It runs lean at times and rich at times. There is no known modifications for the factory ECU. There are engine management sytems that can be adapted, but they may cost too much for any improvement they might provide.

Other ideas that members might have depend on availability of parts, and I do not know what is available around Kiev, or what can be easily imported.

Of course, the word "slang" I think there are many languages including Russian and Ukrainian.)

In the context can be translated and understood the value of slang, especially back in school we studied, even slang)

Well on the engine do not quite agree. Of course, "water jacket" of EA (have so called cooling channels in the block and heads) not very good, with his thin channels compared to EJ, but there (EJ) is lost in this strong quality.So just have to watch t. of engine, and components condition of the engine cooling.

There is a k & n intake and exhaust simply "bank" (catback exhaust)

The first thing I started it ordered a new water pump and new radiator "nissens", has replaced all hoses, new thermostat. Plus I have is regular oil cooler from the factory.

The next step is just going to put the top mount intercooler, slightly increase the pressure turbines to 0.8bar. Further, the collection of banknotes put a more powerful turbine, possibly twinscroll from evo with equal length "pants" (exhaust)

You can order in Kiev any part of the machine from the bolt or hose ending with a new body or gearbox ($11,139.34 for this article) prices for gaskets and many little things are very pleasant.

Gasket heads 1pc. 30$ original Subaru made in Japan

gland valve 2$.

But so far everything to me about money, I mean the salary is above average 600-800$. while the apartment, eating away 80%

On your online auctions (ebay) can be more profitable to buy

cooler 20-50$ used

boostmeter, boostcontroller 200$

and so on ...........

I do not speak for the auto dump (we have no way of in Ukraine, Russia)

But delivery cost is 2 times more than the product

It would seem that 12 hours per airplane, which is a half pound intercooler to a $ 100 minimum

And all that we have buy many times more expensive than you) While the salary on the contrary)))

We will collect ....!:banana:

Most US models did not have an oil cooler, so it is good to know that your Leone already has one. K&N filters might not be an improvement: There is no improvement of airflow, it does not filter out fine particles as well, and the oil used on the filter can contaminate the sensor element on the Mass Air Flow (MAF) unit. I would recommend against it, but you are free to make your own choices.

It is common to replace the IHI RBH5 V7 turbocharger with a TD04 turbocharger. No one has found flow-maps for the V7, and does not seem to be an efficient unit. The TD04 will fit with a minor change to the turbine inlet flange. (One bolt is in a slightly different place.) If you use an EVO turbo, that would be interesting for you to write about.

The "uppipe" (exhaust pipe from head ports to turbine inlet) does not appear well designed, having some restrictions and non-optimum joining angle. They also tend to fracture where the pipe is welded to the turbine inlet flange.

International shipping is expensive, but I am happy to hear that you have access to parts. It also sounds like you have a good idea of what you would like to do. Do you have relatives or friends in North America that can ship parts to you for a reasonable price?

I do not understand that's it =)

It is common to replace the IHI RBH5 V7 turbocharger with a TD04 turbocharger. No one has found flow-maps for the V7, and does not seem to be an efficient unit.

By the way here and nearby countries, not a single Brat!!! :-\

No I do not have friends in North America :confused:

But I have always want to visit as like excursion

• 10 years later...

There is a related thread on tuning EA82 engines on this forum.  There are links to many threads about the attempts and failures to get any kind of power increase with this engine.

The ECU is the first gen OBD system, so very simple.  Reading the blinks from the LED on the ECU is about it for diagnostics.   It will set the CEL for blatant failure of a sensor or solenoid,  but will not catch a sensor that is wrong but inside the normal range of data.