Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Horn doesn't work/airbag light on

I have a '98 EJ22 Imp.

The airbag light has been on in the dash for a while, and I discovered today that my horn doesn't work when I tried pulling into my street only to find a large truck hanging out in the middle of it leaving me hanging half way out into traffic. (Thankfully the guy in the car behind me wasn't tailgating and was paying attention!)

Over the last few days I've noticed a clicking sound when I turn the steering wheel.

Researched a bit on here, and it looks like the clock spring is a possibility? Does that sound right? Would that make a clicking sound when I turn it?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

So is the clock spring the same for legacys, and imprezas from this generation? or do i need to look for an imp. specific one to replace it with?

i see a trip to the pull-a-part in my future

also, is the airbag something i need to be careful of when i replace the clock spring? i'd rather not have that go off on me if i can avoid it!

I would go for an Imp clock spring, I'm not 100% if they are model specific, but with something like that you can't be too careful.

Unplug the battery for 30 minutes and let the car sit, which will remove any residual charge that is anywhere in the system.

the airbag connectors have a ground bar that grounds the pins on the back when the plug is removed, a lot of the hype is legalese, but you should be careful around them, but they are by no means dangerous if handled carefully.

Unhook the negative battery cable about ten minutes before you start and you will have no problems with the airbag.

As far as junkyard parts... Legacy and Impreza use a lot of the same parts, but this one in particular it doesn't look like they share.

This page appears to have the correct part number for your car and shows which models are equipped with that part.

If you come up empty handed at the junkyard... http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=9618

Pricey... :eek:

Thanks for the part number and that link! :)

I had only been able to find the part number for the whole combo switch, which i don't need. I was starting to think I might have to buy the whole thing and just use the steering roll connector from it. You saved me $$!!!

I hope I can find one at a pull-a-part. they sure are pricey... even for just the steering roll connector. :-\