Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Considering how long it takes for anything to gain momentum around here, I figured I'd start a meet thread for whenever it gets put into action :-p

I was thinking of a "Poor Man" rally/off road run out to the woods.

Nothing special, just a bunch of Subaru nuts from N ID and E WA going out into the woods and hooning around for a few hours.

I know of some great areas that aren't too far out from Washington that are good for stock rigs as well as have some fun spots for the more advanced rigs.

The Coeur d'Alene national forest is full of good areas, esp out by Hayden lake.

I'll get a map up of what I'm referring to as soon as I get some response.

The meet point would only be about 30-45 min from Spokane and only another 30-45 min to the recreational area.

So an hour and a half east from Spokane in total max, not counting emergencies, road construction, police, blah blah blah.

This is low budget, so pack yer lunch!

Or bring a barbecue to cook something :)

I'm trying to keep this on the cheap and fun level.

Pipe up with ideas!

Or more central locales!

Or whatever!

Twitch

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehhhh, depends on what schedule Radishack decides to lock me down on, (if they decide to lock me down :-\ )

That seems a little early unless we get any takers!

I was hoping to be able to afford a tank of gas before we head out, and that may not happen until later in June.

Pipe up other peeps!

Twitch

I'll do it. My fat pig Lesbaru should be back in action soon (I need to find some Swampers for it and throw in my LSD if I'm to keep up with the lighter, more nimble rigs).

...or I could just bring my Jeep and take a nap while I follow your BRAT around the novice trails. (You think I'd even have to put it in 4WD?) :grin:

Figure out a date. Summer schedules seem to fill up fast. There's always a lot going on.

oh, and one more thing...

:banana:

banana.

I don't think your GM inspired OB can handle the corners like the BRAT ;)

If we do Rally that is.

Offroad, your jeep can have the difficult trails, my BRAT Likes the high speed low difficulty trails. :)

It's no crawler, but it has the torque to pull itself around.

Twitch

PS: Thanks Ed, I think I'll post a link :)

I'm down to go. But it would be nice to wait at least a couple weeks so I have time to get my rig together. It will be basically stock - nothin super fancy. I'm busy on June 11, so sometime other than that is good. Sounds like fun!:banana::banana::banana:

Alright kids - lets pick a date. And a thought... to make it easier for those who might travel a bit to make it into Idaho Ntl Forests... should we find a spot near the end of the day to kick up a fire and roast some dogs? Then whoever stays can head back the next morning. Just an idea...

Hmmmm, didn't think about camping, but that'd be cool.

I have no idea for dates, as my schedule is still a mess and a nightmare.

Somebody just name a date and we'll see if it's viable.

June 11th. Second Saturday in June, would make for a warm enough night and is pretty safe weather wise.

Idk if I'll make it over or not, depends on if I get any jobs soon or not.

Blue wagon would be a light rally vehicle, BRAT would take just about any hell we throw at it.

Those are my vehicle choices.

Lets make a tally of those who are going for Rally and those who are going 4 wheelin'.

I'm most likely going to be Rally.

Please, pipe up with whatever idea's you've got.

Twitch

PS: Driver List:

Twitch- Rally/light 4 wheel

GWAL- Rally/light 1 wheel?

CChic- Rally/light 4 wheel?

TWSS- Gnarly Offroad?

should be on the road in the next 7 days or so...might not have the LSD in by then, though.

BRAT = 27.4 lbs per HP (2000 lbs/73 hp)

3.90(?) final drive + low range 4WD

Outback = 21.1 lbs per HP (3485 lbs/165 hp)

4.44 final drive auto AWD

My weight balance and suspension geometry makes cornering easier/smoother, but your super low weight makes for some excellent flickability. I have wider all-seasons and big brakes all around, BUT it's a heavy fat pig.... You'll have all four turning the same speed. If you dump the clutch w/it in low range, you will probably destroy me off the line, but I think I'll dominate around the corners.

We'll just have to see. It'll mostly come down to driver ability. Who wins in that department? I have no idea...

should be on the road in the next 7 days or so...might not have the LSD in by then, though.

BRAT = 27.4 lbs per HP (2000 lbs/73 hp) 94 ft lbs @ 2400 rpm

3.90 final drive + low range 4WD

Outback = 21.1 lbs per HP (3485 lbs/165 hp) 166 ft lbs @ 4000 rpm

4.44 final drive auto AWD

My weight balance and suspension geometry makes cornering easier/smoother, but your super low weight makes for some excellent flickability. I have wider all-seasons and big brakes all around, BUT it's a heavy fat pig.... You'll have all four turning the same speed. If you dump the clutch w/it in low range, you will probably destroy me off the line, but I think I'll dominate around the corners.

We'll just have to see. It'll mostly come down to driver ability. Who wins in that department? I have no idea...

Well, in the driver category, I think I might have the edge.

I've rallied those roads before.

Also, having a lightweight car makes a HUGE difference in traction.

Not to mention I have loads more control over the tires with a manual and

manual steering.

I get direct feedback where as you've got a couple of "nanny" devices

between you and the road.

Also, look at peak power.

I get my power soooo much quicker than you do.

Peak torque at 2400 rpm, you get it at 4000 rpm.

My power band is ending as yours is just beginning.

If mine hits 5k its running out of breath, but yours will have to keep pushing

to peak out the HP.

But we'll see.

Twitch

PS: Mine's tail happy, what's yours? ;)