Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Noisy Diff

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 89Legacy

89Legacy

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Melbourne

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:13 AM

Hi everyone

I think I have a noisy diff, Its an 89 Legacy 5 speed manual 1800cc. I'm getting a whirring sound from the rear that gets louder the faster I go and to the point where the stereo doesn't make the drive acceptible however I don't like BOOM BOOM DUFF DUFF too much . I have a new clutch and drive shafts and the wheel bearings are good as far as I know. Any advice would be good as to where I should start.

Also when I engage the AWD button on the stick when on the road it feels like the back just winds up and I cant go back or forward. Is it because i'm on the tarmac or is it buggered.

Thanks for reading and hope you can help.

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,677 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:45 AM

subaru rear differentials very rarely fail.

is there any fluid in the diff?

my guess, without knowing much of anything obviously is that it's a wheel bearing. they sound central while you're driving and only if you sit in the rear trunk area do they reveal which side they might be related too. subaru wheel bearings often don't exhibit typical bearing failure issues too - like play in the wheel, etc. i've seen failed bearings that make no noise when you turn them by hand and feel perfectly tight. once removed and disassembled though it's obvious.

maybe it's bad, just make sure it's not something more common like a wheel bearing. i would have someone ride in the back and listen to see if the noise is center, left, or right.

as far as AWD - not sure how the push button one's work over there, but you are correct in thinking "locked" 4WD, if that's how this one works (like the older gen stuff), should not be used except offroad, snow, mud, grass, etc. otherwise you'll have torque bind.

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,351 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:35 AM

4wd should be enaged and disengaged withthe steering straight on. you may have to reverse or go in the grass or gravel to get out of 4wd if you have been driving on pavement.

4wd no: dry pavement
engaging with the wheels turned
engaging while spinning wheels

4wd yes:
snow
mud
gravel and dirt roads
wet roads at highway speeds and straight roads. not ideal for city driving
engage while driving, at any speed, just let off the gas when you hit the button
4wd can be run at any speed up to top speed

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:38 AM

+1 vote for rear wheel bearing.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users