Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wanted Red Digital dash conversion write up for the EA82 loyal analog dash/cluster.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 guyph_01

guyph_01

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Perth

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

Hi Guys,

Has anyone here done this? I had a search and couldn't find much. Would anyone know of someone build thread were it has been done or would any one have any tips?

I understand that to achieve this, I need the dash harness ( the medium harness from digi to body harness) and also the fuel gauge sending unit as the digi cars use a different sender in the gas tank.
And i was able to get those:) Yes its a good working one:)

Also a wiring diagram would help a lot to figure out what wire is what:)

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Thx

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,538 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:09 PM

the digidash cars used all different connectors and setup. You can't just swap harnesses, unless you swap the ENTIRE forward harness for the car. Or like most who take them out (the more common swap) adn install analogs is to just cut and solder the needed wires at the dash connector. No easy way to do it though.

IMO, the digidashes are worthless.

Temp gauges stop working, they flash in and out of brightness, and the red ones in particular are IMPOSSIBLE to read with a little sun glare. Also, there are issues getting the digi tach to read rpms with an EJ swap.

Save you time, and do something else cool to your subaru instead.

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,279 posts
  • Portland

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

Yep. Don't bother. Huge amount of work for no gain at all. There's a reason we don't go that direction.

GD

#4 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:15 AM

Some people have swapped analog dashes in place of their original digital dashes, but you'd probably be the first to go the other way. The procedure would be the same, with swapping the appropriate sensors. You can make an intermediate wiring harness to adapt the dash harness to the "wrong" dash.. But I've had several digital dashes over the years and they all suck compared to the analog dashes. Their concept is cool but it's not well-executed.

#5 el_freddo

el_freddo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 474 posts
  • Lancefield, Vic, Aust.

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

Another issue I think you'll find is that the speedo cable will be on the wrong side of the back of the instrument cluster as it is for a LHD vehicle, not a RHD as yours is.

I've looked into the RX 6 gauge analogue clusters from the US but the tach and speedos are the opposite way around to what is in the LHD vehicles.

Personally you can't go past a good ol' analogue dash IMO.

Cheers

Bennie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users