Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 loyale 4wd push button axle seal????

I am having trouble finding any shop within fifty miles of me willing to do the axle seals on this car which really floors me! So I am going to attempt to do the job myself! I have visited some of the other posts about this and it seems like something I should be able to do but am having a little trouble making sure I am getting the correct parts! Autozone for 92 loyale 4wd axle seal or differential seal says no part match? Advance shows the seals but only shows the left side in the 4wd no right. Although they show right and left for front wheel drove? So are the front wheel and 4wd front axle seals actually different? Also I read somewhere about a O ring that should be replaced at the same time and can not find the part or part number? Can anyone please help me with getting the correct parts for this car. Folks around here in red neck country Virginia act like my ole subie is a flying saucer space ship from another planet! Any help appreciated!

We just ordered the axle seals from O'reilly's. They sent us two pairs, and only one fit, perhaps the other was for a 4wd?

One nice thing about O'reilly's is that they don't charge a restocking fee for ordering parts and then returning them. So just have them order all the seals that might fit, then take back the ones that don't.

Or just go to a dealer if you have one locally.

Was hoping to avoid this whole type of shinanagans and hoping only order once this is why I posted. Seems like this would be pretty simple answer with a good couple part numbers but guess this is not the case. Maybe I should just hit up the dealer to make sure I get, have the right parts? Amazing how most repair shops and parts dealers seem to consider these cars pretty much non existant or not worth of any kind of major fix? Anyway I will wait for a day or two and bet I get some better more in depth answers. Thanks jAY

WOW figured I would get a few more comments here? Guess I will just have to hit the parts store in person rather than try and sort this out on line. The one thing I would appreciate some more input, info on the O ring I have heard should be replaced at the same time as the seal? I am guessing its just behind the seal? Any input greatly appreciated.

Just did this job on the daughters car. Before you unscrew the keeper take a center punch and make a mark on the keeper and the trans housing so you can return to the same preload setting. A very important step. I used a brass drift to get them loose and retighten.Here is a listing of the P/N's. These guys offer great prices and I would use the Subaru replacement parts as the quality is a given.

http://www.subaruworld.net/parts.htm

Forgot to add that the O-Rings are on the keeper that unscrews.

Edited by bigjimd

I get the feeling that you are referring to the transmission stub axle seals and not the actual axle seals which are in the knuckle. That may be the reason that you are having such a hard time finding them. I just looked up the parts and the difference is going to be weather your trans is automatic or manual. The seals are two different sizes, so I need to know which you have. Looks like I can get the seals and the orings for around 20.00 delivered to me. I need to know by tomorrow if you want me to get them for you. If you want to come to Richmond this weekend, we can do the repair together and you will know that they are right. Let me know if that is something you might want to do.

Mike

You can call me if you want.

804-393-0516

WOW, what an amazing offer Mike! Sounds like one incredible opportunity for me and I do thank you so very much, wow so awesome of you to offer!! I would have to trailer the car do to it dumping so much gear oil so quickly and at the moment I do not have a vehicle I could tow it with and would have to rent a trailer! I do believe I can handle the repair myself but do want to make sure I am getting the correct parts. I am getting conflicting statments from local parts stores about whether the seals are dirctional or not. I was under impression that they are but evidently some are not? Also these places can not seem to find the correct seal and so the O ring is way over the heads! If you could point me in the right direction getting the correct parts I would so very appreciate it! The car is 5speed manual with push button 4wd. Thanks again for your very kind offer! Jay

The subaru part numbers for you r seals are:

o ring 80697 5010

right seal 80673 0031

left seal 80673 0032

I would go to subaru direct and get the seals. They should have them in stock. If not, let me know and I can order them for you and then priority mail them to you.

Mike

You are more than welcome to leave the car with me, but I surely doubt you could even be here by the weekend. I am in Va. LOL

IIRC they are directional with 'chevrons' in the seal, so there is a right and left side seal. Mike can I leave my car with you for the weekend? :)