Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Shift Lock System problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dssenne

dssenne

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • O'Fallon

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:38 PM

My FWD '92 Legacy (auto trans.) recently developed a problem where you can't move the selector lever from "P" to any other position unless you press the shift-lock release button. From what I read it's a problem with the "Shift Lock System", but I can't find anything to do about it. It's doing it pretty much every time now. Until I can figure it out/get help/take it somewhere, can I continue to drive it using the release button, or am I destine to get stranded at the worst possible time? Any ideas how I can fix this?
Thanks

#2 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,382 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:09 PM

My FWD '92 Legacy (auto trans.) recently developed a problem where you can't move the selector lever from "P" to any other position unless you press the shift-lock release button. From what I read it's a problem with the "Shift Lock System", but I can't find anything to do about it. It's doing it pretty much every time now. Until I can figure it out/get help/take it somewhere, can I continue to drive it using the release button, or am I destine to get stranded at the worst possible time? Any ideas how I can fix this?
Thanks

there is a solenoid that activate when you step on the brake when the car is in park. it withdraws a pin which un-locks the shifter. mine is intermittent. i had it tied down with a rubber band for a while. but i am still a little scared of it.

if you remove the console around the shifter you will see the mechanism. my guess is that a used one would be a good bet, but i don't really know.

i also don't know what the cost new.

#3 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,604 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:40 PM

When you press the brake pedal and the gear selecter buttom you should hear a relay under the dash click, do you?

The solenoids sometimes get gummed up over the years from that coke that got spilled in there and no one owned up to :)

#4 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:12 PM

or it could be the beverage of coca cola that got spilled in there.

sounds like a good time to remove the shifter console trims, and see if you can clean the electrical thing ,maybe with some windex.

#5 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,604 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:14 PM

or it could be the beverage of coca cola that got spilled in there.

So your the one who spilled it?

#6 dssenne

dssenne

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • O'Fallon

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

When you press the brake pedal and the gear selecter buttom you should hear a relay under the dash click, do you?

Thanks, I'll check that out when I get home tonight.

#7 dssenne

dssenne

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • O'Fallon

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:31 PM

The solenoids sometimes get gummed up over the years from that coke that got spilled in there and no one owned up to :)

Yes, I hear a click under the dash. I'll pull the trim around the selector this weekend and check it out.

#8 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,604 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:43 PM

Yup sounds like the solenoid quit or it is gummed up.

#9 dssenne

dssenne

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • O'Fallon

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:43 PM

Today I pulled the console covers to see if the solenoid was gummed up (it seemed fine- not dirty at all).
Now when the selector is out of P, I can move it to the other positions without pressing the grip button. The only exception is that the button has to be pressed to go from N to R.
I did loosen the selector lever (two screws on side) so I could lift the indicator cover up a bit to see the solenoid better. When I did this the grip button came out. But I thought I got it back together correctly.
I know this is a stupid question, but the grip button needs to be pressed in order to be able to move the selector from say, D to N or 3,2,1 doesn't it? I never really tried to do so without pressing it, so I don't know if I screwed it up!
If I did, any suggestions about what to do? I REALLY need to get it back together today!
Thanks

#10 dssenne

dssenne

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • O'Fallon

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:50 PM

I know this is a stupid question, but the grip button needs to be pressed in order to be able to move the selector from say, D to N or 3,2,1 doesn't it?
Thanks

When in doubt read the manual. Sorry for the lame post...

#11 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,604 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

When in doubt read the manual. Sorry for the lame post...

D to N and to D no
revers to neutral to drive no
Neutral to reverse yes
Downshift yes
upshift no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users