Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

thermo switch test?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 noob2soob22

noob2soob22

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Marshall, MI

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:10 AM

running into problems with my fan kicking on when it supposed too. IT DOESNT!

any way to test the thermo switch?

#2 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 968 posts
  • North ID

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:19 AM

Use an Ohm meter to test continuity when the car is hot.

Or pull the switch and throw it in a pot of water, and heat it up on the stove and perform the same test.

have you tested the fan itself?

#3 bigjimd

bigjimd

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Petersburg, Va.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:19 AM

Remove the switch and suspend in a pan of water on the stove. Place a thermometer in the water attach an ohm meter across the the switch. Start heating the water and observe the meter. Switch is normaly open I belive meaning when you hit the temperature the switch is rated for it will close allowing current to flow. Record the temperature at which the switch close's and compare with temp rating.

#4 noob2soob22

noob2soob22

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Marshall, MI

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:46 AM

the fan runs when power is supplied, the previous owner had ran a hot from the battery to a toggle switch, then linked it to the existing hot wire from the fan.

now what i understand is that the thermo switch is a ground switch. correct?

and if they ran a hot wire from the fan, and when the switch is on it runs, that tells me they must have put a ground for the fan, or if my switch is faulty it could be completing the curcuit constantly.

i have disconnected the jerry-rigged hot. and hooked up as it should be. fan just doesnt kick on.

i also noticed a seperate therm-switch located a little lower than the first, with no wiring attached?

#5 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,581 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:46 AM

you can test the fan circuit itself. just jump the 2 terminals together and the fan should come on (run or acc). This way you know it's only the switch.

#6 noob2soob22

noob2soob22

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Marshall, MI

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:50 AM

you can test the fan circuit itself. just jump the 2 terminals together and the fan should come on (run or acc). This way you know it's only the switch.

jump the terminals? hmm..im confused. i understand turning the key to run or acc, to allow power through the system, but which terminals am i jumping

#7 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

The two inside the connector that goes to the thermo-switch. Just connect them together and the fan should run constantly.

GD

#8 noob2soob22

noob2soob22

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Marshall, MI

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:43 PM

:-\ok. from what im looking at its just a yellow wire coming from the wire bundle under the radiator. is this 'connecter' somewhere within the wire bundle?
what i am wondering now is theres a second therm-switch located lower towards the drain plug with no wire hooked up.

#9 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,581 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:17 PM

sorry, i was thinking of ea82. But on your (ea81) the fan will come on if you ground that wire to the frame. it should be connected to the thermoswitch on the side of the radiator.

The radiator grounds with a small wire on the top to the frame near the hood latch. this wire may be missing if the radiator has been removed at one time.

#10 noob2soob22

noob2soob22

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Marshall, MI

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:00 PM

sorry, i was thinking of ea82. But on your (ea81) the fan will come on if you ground that wire to the frame. it should be connected to the thermoswitch on the side of the radiator.

The radiator grounds with a small wire on the top to the frame near the hood latch. this wire may be missing if the radiator has been removed at one time.

miles!! big help. i appologize for the thread overload ive been informed and will do my best to keep existing threads regarding my issues open rather than starting new ones.

ok great that helps a bunch so if hook up the ground thats missing and then do the frame ground test as you mentioned. the fan should come on. if not thermo switch.

#11 noob2soob22

noob2soob22

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Marshall, MI

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:02 PM

one more thing!
whats the other (lower) therm swtch for?
theres no wire connected

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users