Ultimate Subaru Message Board

thermo switch test?

Remove the switch and suspend in a pan of water on the stove. Place a thermometer in the water attach an ohm meter across the the switch. Start heating the water and observe the meter. Switch is normaly open I belive meaning when you hit the temperature the switch is rated for it will close allowing current to flow. Record the temperature at which the switch close's and compare with temp rating.

the fan runs when power is supplied, the previous owner had ran a hot from the battery to a toggle switch, then linked it to the existing hot wire from the fan.

now what i understand is that the thermo switch is a ground switch. correct?

and if they ran a hot wire from the fan, and when the switch is on it runs, that tells me they must have put a ground for the fan, or if my switch is faulty it could be completing the curcuit constantly.

i have disconnected the jerry-rigged hot. and hooked up as it should be. fan just doesnt kick on.

i also noticed a seperate therm-switch located a little lower than the first, with no wiring attached?

you can test the fan circuit itself. just jump the 2 terminals together and the fan should come on (run or acc). This way you know it's only the switch.

jump the terminals? hmm..im confused. i understand turning the key to run or acc, to allow power through the system, but which terminals am i jumping

:-\ok. from what im looking at its just a yellow wire coming from the wire bundle under the radiator. is this 'connecter' somewhere within the wire bundle?

what i am wondering now is theres a second therm-switch located lower towards the drain plug with no wire hooked up.

sorry, i was thinking of ea82. But on your (ea81) the fan will come on if you ground that wire to the frame. it should be connected to the thermoswitch on the side of the radiator.

The radiator grounds with a small wire on the top to the frame near the hood latch. this wire may be missing if the radiator has been removed at one time.

sorry, i was thinking of ea82. But on your (ea81) the fan will come on if you ground that wire to the frame. it should be connected to the thermoswitch on the side of the radiator.

The radiator grounds with a small wire on the top to the frame near the hood latch. this wire may be missing if the radiator has been removed at one time.

miles!! big help. i appologize for the thread overload ive been informed and will do my best to keep existing threads regarding my issues open rather than starting new ones.

ok great that helps a bunch so if hook up the ground thats missing and then do the frame ground test as you mentioned. the fan should come on. if not thermo switch.