Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV axles question for 5-speed swap

TajMan

I'm ready to put my 5-speed swap in my '83 Brat, I have everything I need for that and also lots of other new parts..

will get new axles now, because my boots are torn even though no clicking yet..

I'd never seen anyone mention parts needed axle-wise, so the old '83 Brat axles are the correct spline count and length for the 5-speed trans?

Autozone's computer says the '87 GL 4WD 5-speed car has axles that are a couple inches longer than the Brat.

Does the GL just have a wider wheelbase or something?

I will order axles tomorrow, once I'm sure on the correct ones.

If the gearbox is from a carbie L series all you need is a replacement set that is for your model MY

If the gearbox is from an MPFI or turbo L series you'll need to change the inner cups to a set from the model of L series that the gearbox came from.

SPFI - I don't know about because Australia never had them delievered...

Or you can split the gearbox and swap them to the 23 spline output shafts to keep your driveshafts as original off the shelf items.

Cheers

Bennie

87+ should be 23 spline if it's part time 4wd. the turbos would have been full time. yes, EA82s Have a wider track.

if your axles are not making noise, your time and money would be better spent rebuilding them. For less than $20 ea, you could put brand new boots and grease on them, and they'll be better than most "New" axles you might buy.

Yep trans is 23-spline '87 5-speed dual range (part time)

so stock axles are what I need

however, CV axle rebuild shop in Salt Lake City wants $50/axle to rebuild 2 boots with parts/labor.

I ordered new axles at Autozone through commercial account and got them for $45 each instead.

One of my current axles is already cut-off short through where the cotter pin usually goes after the castle nut..

That was the right side I already replaced 10K ago on an automatic car, lol

I'm better off trying the new set of matching 'duralast' axles.

keep your warranty receipts
Absolutely keep the receipts. My experience has been to get used axles at Pull a Part and re-boot them when the existing boots fail. New or commercially (somehow I think I have a spelling issue here) rebuilt axles have a tendency to fail well within the warranty period. The exceptions being rebuilt axles from MWE in Colorado.