Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CV axles question for 5-speed swap

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TajMan

TajMan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:04 PM

I'm ready to put my 5-speed swap in my '83 Brat, I have everything I need for that and also lots of other new parts..
will get new axles now, because my boots are torn even though no clicking yet..

I'd never seen anyone mention parts needed axle-wise, so the old '83 Brat axles are the correct spline count and length for the 5-speed trans?

Autozone's computer says the '87 GL 4WD 5-speed car has axles that are a couple inches longer than the Brat.
Does the GL just have a wider wheelbase or something?

I will order axles tomorrow, once I'm sure on the correct ones.

#2 el_freddo

el_freddo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • Lancefield, Vic, Aust.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:10 AM

If the gearbox is from a carbie L series all you need is a replacement set that is for your model MY

If the gearbox is from an MPFI or turbo L series you'll need to change the inner cups to a set from the model of L series that the gearbox came from.

SPFI - I don't know about because Australia never had them delievered...

Or you can split the gearbox and swap them to the 23 spline output shafts to keep your driveshafts as original off the shelf items.

Cheers

Bennie

#3 TajMan

TajMan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

great ;)
thanks for the info
my 5-speed trans was out of an '87 or '88, most likely a MPFI car.
I'll count splines and figure out what I have and what fits now, before I go to try and complete the swap..

#4 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:35 PM

87+ should be 23 spline if it's part time 4wd. the turbos would have been full time. yes, EA82s Have a wider track.

if your axles are not making noise, your time and money would be better spent rebuilding them. For less than $20 ea, you could put brand new boots and grease on them, and they'll be better than most "New" axles you might buy.

#5 TajMan

TajMan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

Yep trans is 23-spline '87 5-speed dual range (part time)

so stock axles are what I need

however, CV axle rebuild shop in Salt Lake City wants $50/axle to rebuild 2 boots with parts/labor.

I ordered new axles at Autozone through commercial account and got them for $45 each instead.
One of my current axles is already cut-off short through where the cotter pin usually goes after the castle nut..
That was the right side I already replaced 10K ago on an automatic car, lol
I'm better off trying the new set of matching 'duralast' axles.

#6 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

keep your warranty receipts

#7 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:03 PM

keep your warranty receipts

Absolutely keep the receipts. My experience has been to get used axles at Pull a Part and re-boot them when the existing boots fail. New or commercially (somehow I think I have a spelling issue here) rebuilt axles have a tendency to fail well within the warranty period. The exceptions being rebuilt axles from MWE in Colorado.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users