Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA dual range going into 99 Outback, a couple questions

daredevil1166

That's exactly what i was thinking actually. A 1.5 - 2" steel or aluminum spacer on the rear diff flange. The center support bearing could be held up with a simple bracket made of angle iron. I would probably run a half loop across the top to bolt to the floor pan to keep it from twisting under load.

Hey what about this... A 2005-09 Legacy has a 105.1" wheelbase. A 2000- 04 Legacy has a 104.3" wheelbase. I don't know about transmission lengths on these, but the driveshafts will be different lengths. How different will the output stub on the trans and rear diff flange be on an 00 model? How different will it be on an 05+ model? What about from an automagic transmission? They should be different lengths as well, right?

:popcorn:

Yes there is a thing there with the spline count and shaft size. I can't remember the measurements now but the correct one is Exedy 15-009.

I used this one....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUK-15-009-New-Clutch-Set-/270921981388?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f14355dcc#ht_929wt_931

Parts Blvd is part of Performance Warehouse which is part of Baxter Auto Parts. They're so close to me that I got it the next day.

To give credit where it's due, I didn't figure out the clutch stuff or find that kit, I found the info here.

I have a few tips and pictures to post that would help people do this. I'll get them up when I can.

Edited by daredevil1166

Got 4wd!

Drive line is in and all is well.

I turned a piece of 2.5" OD 3/16 wall tubing down to fit inside the front section tube. Made it a pretty tight fit, I had to heat the drive line to get the piece in. I figure that helped it stay straight and the tight fit will help it handle the torque.

Very glad to have 4wd.

Project is mostly done. Just need my custom shifter boot and I'm gonna call it finished.

The shifters are bolted together just like in the original car. I just made a simple bracket to bolt them to the rear of the hole in the body.

You can kinda see where it bolts in this picture. I've since repositioned the gear shifter and put the original plastics back on.

Might as well throw in a few other pics while I'm at it.

How I marked the flywheel. Used the pilot bearing to center the flywheels together then sprayed paint in the holes. Worked awesome.

The D/R opened up.

Clutch, pitch stopper and adapter plate. You can see the hole in the firewall where the hydro clutch master was.

Last one is the driveline extension before I welded it together.

post-31674-136027654161_thumb.jpg

post-31674-136027654169_thumb.jpg

post-31674-136027654176_thumb.jpg

post-31674-136027654184_thumb.jpg

post-31674-13602765419_thumb.jpg

Edited by daredevil1166

The shifters are bolted together just like in the original car. I just made a simple bracket to bolt them to the rear of the hole in the body.

I did not know they were bolted together. (EA noobness)

Is the range select lever cable or rod operated?

Any reason an EJ shifter wouldn't work with some modification?

Possible I'm sure.

Really not worth it. It really was easy to bolt the EA shifter on.

Don't over think it. It's a relatively easy swap.

There was very little modification necessary and most things worked themselves out with only a little thought on my part.

If you're thinking of doing it and have the money, just go for it.

Edited by daredevil1166

• 6 months later...
Hey what about this... A 2005-09 Legacy has a 105.1" wheelbase. A 2000- 04 Legacy has a 104.3" wheelbase. I don't know about transmission lengths on these, but the driveshafts will be different lengths. How different will the output stub on the trans and rear diff flange be on an 00 model? How different will it be on an 05+ model? What about from an automagic transmission? They should be different lengths as well, right?

:popcorn:

Fairtax... I used the shaft from an 03 Outback. You just need to swap the rear yokes to match the diff.

DD.... Do you have pics of your shift linkage? I keep :banghead: over the shifter stay.

• 4 weeks later...

do you think it would work for a 2000 outback sport with out modification?

and is that the only year or is there a range where the outbacks stayed the same? The driveshaft is really whats offputting about this swap. That would be sweet to be able to use oem pieces.