Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tired of Ben not starting...

Ben sometimes will not start. Turn the key to start position and all that happens is some solenoid under the SPFI black thing clicks, and the check engine light will pulse. (constant on, dims, bright, dims, bright, rapidly).

How can I jump the starter solenoid as a bypass for whenever this happens? Is there a way I can wire in a switch to do it?

In theory, what I want is

Say I'm in a scenario where the car won't start. It doesn't happen too often, but it happens often enough to be annoying. So say this happens.

I want to be able to leave the car in park

turn the ignition to ON

get out, go under the hood and press a button or something that will jump the solenoid and start the car....

Do you get a loud CLICK from the stater itself?

This would indicate the contacts are probably bad.

You can also try taking a jumper wire from the battery to the spade terminal on the starter that powers the solenoid.

On my GL I was having a problem where it wasn't getting enough juice from the switch. I don't know why, I tried three ignition switches and two different starters. I finally just set up a relay to give direct battery current to the starter when I turned the key, and it hasn't had a problem since.

That's the weird thing, there's no click or anything. Just that slight ticking noise from under the SPFI thing. (The part on top dead center of the engine, the air intake.) The starter doesn't engage at all.

I'm hoping that I can just wire in some type of emergency bypass for when it won't start. I will try cleaning all the contacts, though I don't think that will help. Thanks for the advice though. I'll keep posted what I come up with..

I Really Believe that...

...that slight ticking noise from under the SPFI thing...

...is Normal when the Key is on the "ON" Position and isn't related to the problem at all.

The problem is that when you Turn the Key to "START" Position it doesn't do anything... untill Some Tries, isn't it?

If so, there are some areas to Consider:

• Worn Starter Switch
  • Loose Contacts or wires on the Starter Switch
  • Loose wiring to the Starter
  • and the starter internals, as I said on my another post above.
  • but also it could have a Loose / Rusted \ worn Fusible links...

I Kindly suggest you to Check there, I hope by Doin' that you'll find the Source of the Problem

Kind Regards.

Yeah nothing at all. And yes it is under that boot that I hear the clicking. It will only click when the key is being held in the 'start' position. It doesn't do it when the key is in the 'on' position.

The weird thing is that usually when this condition occurs, if I hold the key in the start position, and start hitting some electrical devices (heater, headlights, windshield wipers) either turning something on or turning something off while holding the key in the start position will get the car to start. *Usually* that will do it. Occasionally nothing like that works, and I have to disconnect the positive terminal of the battery, leave it off for a minute, and then re-attach it and 9 times out of 10 the car will start fine.

I'm going to go over all the starter connections and hit them with some electrical component lubricant, as well as try to clean them up. This is the gf's car, and it's just really starting to become a pain in the rump roast when she calls me from 100 miles away saying the car won't start...

Thanks for the replies.

...I have to disconnect the positive terminal of the battery, leave it off for a minute, and then re-attach it and 9 times out of 10 the car will start fine...

I think that are Key Words: Maybe the Loose wire(s) are the ones on the Battery Terminal.

I Kindly Suggest you to Check 'em First.

Kind Regards.

Check all your grounds. This happens to me when it gets really cold out. My old battery terminals aren't claming the poles very tight even thought they're wrenched all the way down. I've replaced my positive, but still need to do my negative.