Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 outback rack and pinion question

I was told at the shop that my power steering fluid was leaking and I would be looking at a rack and pinion replacement including tire rod caps or something like that. he quoted me at 9-1k. Just wondering if that sounds right and if anyone would have suggestion to cut costs at all... any ntl. names such as firestone or sears auto or something like that that might be lower cost. Also wondeing if I just keep an eye on the power sterring fluid how long I'd be good?

Thanks for any ideas.

I was told at the shop that my power steering fluid was leaking and I would be looking at a rack and pinion replacement including tire rod caps or something like that. he quoted me at 9-1k. Just wondering if that sounds right and if anyone would have suggestion to cut costs at all... any ntl. names such as firestone or sears auto or something like that that might be lower cost. Also wondeing if I just keep an eye on the power sterring fluid how long I'd be good?

Thanks for any ideas.

Are you losing fluid? Do you have noise or other symptoms when idling or turning the wheel? Any drips under the car?

Anyway, you can take your car to another shop for a second opinion/quote if you are unsure about the diagnosis/price.

Thanks for any ideas.

I thought I had already replied to this topic but I guess I didn't save it. I'll try again.

What kind of mileage do you have on your 2005? I've got 228K miles on my Impreza wagon and have never had issues with a power steering leak. It may be as simple as a loose hose clamp. Where is it leaking from? If it's leaking from the power steering pump, the kits (2) from Subaru are about $40 each with about an hour's labor. Leaks around the rack & pinion gear are also repairable for lots less than $1K. I'd shop around for another opinion; an independant Subaru shop or maybe even a dealer.

I have been getting a noise ( sounds sort of eletric or buzzing sounds) say when backing out of a parking spot and turning the wheel getting ready to head away. I havent noticed any wet spots under the car.

I will get a second opinion. I'd like to just address the leak and not replace a major part.

Not too inlcined with auto repairs myself so not sure of the kit option

oh and the car has 115,000 miles on it. thinking a clamp would be the best option with hope.

not sure where to go for second opinion. Does anybody in twin cities, mn have suggestions?

Like I said there is a bit of a noise when backing up. I think this is the powersteering pump trying to do its job. When the vehicle is moving there seems to be no problem.

Thanks

Thanks I think I found that very information.

http://allwheeldriveauto.com/why-is-the-power-steering-making-noise-on-my-subaru-outback/

including this kind of stuff. It does say specific to 200-2004 but it seems familiar to me and I did have some belts replaced in january 2012

We have had a lot of Questions from all over the country on this subject so I thought I would provide some information. This issue is typically found on the 2000 to 2004 Subaru Outback and Subaru Legacy. There will be pictures up next week to help illustrate what is going on.

Here is the usual situation someone replaces the belts, or the timing belt or the alternator and almost instantly the power steering pump starts to make noise and the car can be hard to steer. Well here is what happens. The top bolt for the alternator and power steering fan belt shroud is secured to the power steering return line tube/bracket through a rubber grommet in the top of the shroud. If there isn’t enough slack in the shroud when the top bolt is tightened the shroud will pull onto the tube (towards the drivers side) allowing air into the power steering system thus causing the fluid to become aerated. The other end of this shroud is slotted at the alternator pivot bolt. The rubber grommet is there, to give a little instead of pulling the tube under load. Once the tube is pulled it is necessary to reset it in the power steering pump to make sure it isn’t still being pulled in one direction after this the shroud will need to be installed properly ( with slack). From there the aerated fluid must be replaced with fresh fluid and the problem is solved.

there are posts on this and other subaru forums too.

But an 05 is unfamiliar to me, but any PS system sucking in air will have a problem. Again, monitor the PS fluid tank. I had to remove the intake runner - 2 bolts, to get a good eye on mine. It was bubbling and foaming. After I fixed it with an o-ring from Ace Hardware, it just showed a little flow, no more bubbles. I also, used a small hose attached to a acheap turkey baster to replace much of the fluid with the owner's manual recommended fluid as the old fluid was quite dark and I assumed contaminated with moisture from the suction leak. Quite and working fine now.

Of course, you could have a completely different problem.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thanks I think I found that very information.

http://allwheeldriveauto.com/why-is-the-power-steering-making-noise-on-my-subaru-outback/

including this kind of stuff. It does say specific to 200-2004 but it seems familiar to me and I did have some belts replaced in january 2012

We have had a lot of Questions from all over the country on this subject so I thought I would provide some information. This issue is typically found on the 2000 to 2004 Subaru Outback and Subaru Legacy. There will be pictures up next week to help illustrate what is going on.

Here is the usual situation someone replaces the belts, or the timing belt or the alternator and almost instantly the power steering pump starts to make noise and the car can be hard to steer. Well here is what happens. The top bolt for the alternator and power steering fan belt shroud is secured to the power steering return line tube/bracket through a rubber grommet in the top of the shroud. If there isn’t enough slack in the shroud when the top bolt is tightened the shroud will pull onto the tube (towards the drivers side) allowing air into the power steering system thus causing the fluid to become aerated. The other end of this shroud is slotted at the alternator pivot bolt. The rubber grommet is there, to give a little instead of pulling the tube under load. Once the tube is pulled it is necessary to reset it in the power steering pump to make sure it isn’t still being pulled in one direction after this the shroud will need to be installed properly ( with slack). From there the aerated fluid must be replaced with fresh fluid and the problem is solved.

I actually work for that shop!

Yes, if the belt guard has been tightened up improperly, it can put pressure on the return line fitting on top of the pump and cause air to enter the system. I don't currently have an '05 at the shop for me to look at but I believe the setup changed a bit in '05 as they went to a complete plastic engine cover but there is still a bracket on top of the alternator that is in the way when replacing the belts and I'm almost certain it bolts to the return line fitting.

It's probably just the pump, highly doubt its the rack. Double check, and check again, clean the area and run it. You need to source your leak. If its truely the rack I'd be surprised. If its the pump....well as stated before its easy to rebuild.