Ultimate Subaru Message Board

caliper advise??

Axiom614

I did this to a 94 legacy gt wagon using dual pots from a 2000 legacy outback wagon. I did the rears too, doing the same thing with caliper brackets and backing plates, but using the same parking brake shoes original to the car. The rears are still single pots, but larger rotors. If you can snag all 4 brakes that is a total package.

These calipers i used appear to be the same a 90-94 turbo legacy, and wrx 2 pot as well.

With the larger 2-pot brakes you must use 15" or larger wheels. If you have single pot calipers now then you must have a Legacy L rather than an Outback or GT which would have the 2-pot brakes standard. If you have 14" wheels the larger brakes will not fit inside them.

GD

I forgot to mention this. My 94 legacy has 15 inch forester wheels, and i cannot go back to the original 14" snowflakes.

make the move to 15 inch wheels with 195/60 15 tires and it will be close to the original 185/70 14 without throwing off the speedo more than a few pwercent.

have to run 15" wheels (and even then it will depend which calipers you use and which 15" wheels you use - some steel 15" wheels won't clear all dual pot pistons).

you can upgrade the back calipers like Miles said without those same concerns, the rears have more clearance than the fronts.