Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Loyale wheel bearings. will Legacy fit?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Vancouver, Canada

Posted 30 March 2004 - 03:42 PM

Hi all,
My 91 Loyale is eating front wheel bearings at about twice the rate I would expect. They last maybe three years before they start to make noise. I think I am on the third set in 250,000km which maybe isn't so bad, but this last one is gone after only 20,000km. After reading a bit about the problems with Forester bearings, and how people are replacing them with roller bearings from Outback models, I was wondering if there are roller bearings that will fit in the Loyale and maybe have a more durable life.

Alignment and such on the car seems fine, although poking around I noticed that the inboard seal on the bearing was slightly damaged, so maybe water got in there and ended its life prematurely.
Thanks.

#2 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 30 March 2004 - 03:46 PM

i accidently put my inner seals on backwards, and i toasted both sides bearings in less than a year, i can't help you with the legacy swap possibility, but i would reccomend the 207 ss bearings, there sealed and are less prone to getting water and dirt in them.

#3 Partsman

Partsman

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • sunny Eugene, OR

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:45 PM

Legacy bearings have the wrong ID. No go.

Make sure you pack the snot out of the new ones with grease!

#4 richierich

richierich

• 3,760 posts
  • Portland

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:41 AM

You need to get used hub assemblies, maybe your hubs have been tweeked. Whatever the problem is, it would be cheaper and less time intensive to just change out the hubs rather than replacing the bearing 3-4 times.

If you can't find any sealed wheel bearings locally, let me know and I can hook you up.

richslaw@hotmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users