Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I friend of mine had his 03 OBW die on the highway. I assume it's a timing belt issue. The shop he had is towed to is hinting that he"ll need a engine.

Looking around on the best suby site in the world I see he might have an interference engine in the 03 OBW. I bummed to learn suby has those now, my experience has been the timing belt going out won't damage the valves.

Questions

Does the 03 OBW have an interference engine.

What type of cost range would fixing some valves run?

What shops do you recommend in the Branson/Springfield MO area?

Thanks Guys.

Fitz

Yes, it's an interference engine: this is true for all Subaru 2.5L engines. However, more vehicle history (mileage and service history) and info. will be necessary to determine whether he'll need a new engine, valve job. A peek underneath the plastic timing cover (front driver's side of engine) will tell you much of what you'll need to know.

Most people will tell you it's cheaper to put in another engine, either used or rebuilt so you'll have to check to see what machine shops in your area charge for valve jobs to determine whether it's worthwhile to fix it. But you'll need to pull the heads off before you know whether there's any damage to the piston(s) as well.

gas cap broken tab and the oring pushed out. easily verified by checking fuel flow in the engine. just pop the hood, unscrew the clamp, pull the hose and turn the key on. if gas shoots out the fuel pump/cap are good. if it doesn't come out or is really weak - it's bad.

or the timing belt let loose. interference engine so there will be bent valves. best repair in that case is to just buy two used heads and bolt them on.

you can lap in new valves too, not that bad but finding a shop to do it may be tough.

get an entire ebay timing belt kit if he's saving the engine. new tensioner, pulleys, and belt. the pulleys and tensioner generally cause belt failure on these rather than the belt letting loose for no reason.