Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Outback Auto Tranny Problems

The car is a 96 Outback 2.5 with A/T 170K. With the help of this forum, I've been able to fix everything this car has thrown at me from replacing brake calipers to replacing head gaskets (engine in car)...Until Now.

A week ago it started with my wife saying the car felt funny on her way to work a stumble between gear changes a couple of times. Then on the way home she would step on the gas and the car wouldn't move. Fluid seemed a little low, topped it off and drove it home, after a few blocks or miles it would slip again. Shut off the car and restart and repeat. Fluid looked pretty good, still more red than brown and no burning smell. I dropped the pan and replaced filter/screen. This was definately clogged and not letting enough fluid get to the TC. Buttoned up, test drive..perfect. the car hasn't lit up the tires since we owned it. Back and forth to work the next day no problem.

2nd day after fix, wife calls on way to work saying she thought it was taking too long to change gears and the rpms would spike before shifting a couple of times. On her way home it could only get to about 15 mph at 2.5K rpm. She limped it home and I test drove it. Initial response from first gear was fine but wouldn't shift up unless rpm hit 6500. Pulled TCU codes 11 Duty A and 24 Duty C. I don't have any issue with torque bind.

Yesterday, I dropped the pan again, and removed the valve body, opened it up and cleaned it out. There were a few passages where friction material was lodged possible pluging some holes. I tested the resistance of Duty A, Duty B and shift Solenoids 1,2,3 all within range. Put it all back together, topped off with new DexIII ATF. Test drove around block, it was slipping in first, fluid was low. Added enough to full L hot range, now the car stalls when put in any gear. It's like dropping the clutch on a manual. I'm not sure if the TC is stuck in locked position or something electrical. I tried giving it gas and switching gear, but the car just lurches forward and stalls.

Before I damage anything else, I figured I'd open this up to discussion. Any help/ideas?

Oh i know thiss one to well the torington bering on the low reverse clutch pack drum has piled up alows the whole internal asembly to shuttle back and foruth and has probly wiped the planetarys out. Or the forward clutch pack has smoked out did it hesatate when going from drive to reverse or from reverse to drive any hesatation in transition indacates to mutch end play in trans internal asembly .

No real hesitation. As soon as you shift from P or N into any gear it locks up lurches forward(or reverse) and stalls out along with one deep metal to metal bang. I'm hoping the tcc is stuck and may try pulling the valve body apart again.

I pulled the valve body out again. Took it completely apart this time, all valves, springs, etc. Cleaned everything and put back together per the Service Manual. Now I'm back to being able to shift through the gears without the "clunk...stall". It seems back to where it was after the filter change. 1st to second gear seem fine, but won't upshift after about 20mph. Any thoughts on whether a band adjustment would help.

Also, ran the TCU codes again. Only getting 24 Duty C. No longer getting Duty A. I'm pretty sure Duty C has been out since I bought it. The car has always blinked the AT Temp 16 times at start up. I didn't realize that was a warning light until just recently. Still no Torque Bind. Just won't upshift.