Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ej22 Performance Upgrades

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 muddblood

muddblood

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Denver, Co

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

I am VERY new to Subaru performance and upgrades so please forgive me for asking questions I am sure have been asked billion times.

I keep seeing posts and articles saying this block, these heads for building power on a ej22 (NA). I would like to know what the easiest and best block combo would be. I've heard on other forums that ANY ej25 will fail head gasktes every 100k miles or sooner, and I keep hearing ej25 heads on ej22 block, and then throw in the difference between ej22E and ej22t, and then dual port and single port heads...it's just all so confusing.

My car needs more power, cut and dry. It is an 93 Legacy with a SOHC ej22 (NA) and produces a published 130hp at the crank. My first thought was to just drop in an ej25 to gain a quick 30hp (160hp), but the ej25's are VERY prone to head gasket failures...I need reliabiliy. I don't NEED 200+ hp (althught it would be nice), just 30-40 hp (for now). I read intake and exhaust would help, but by how much? And in the past, I worked at a Subaru dealer and was told by the lead mechanic that a wet air filter, like the K&N is NOT a good idea as the oil will kill the MAF. ANY thoughts on bolt-on's to get 30-40 more horses would be extremely welcome!!!! It is my daily driver so it cannot be down for more than a weekend or so.

And the reaosn for the needed hp is the car struggles badly going up the mountain passes here in Colorado...like down to semi speed. I need more power to get up them...or a tune or something.

#2 presslab

presslab

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 854 posts
  • N. California

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

The EJ22 is a decently powerful motor in a Legacy. If you're going "semi speed" it sounds like you have something wrong.

Have you timed your 0-60? Are you getting decent MPG?

#3 CoupedUpSubie

CoupedUpSubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Woolwich

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

Automatic or manual transmission? If its a manual just down shift when needed.

One thing you can try is removing the intake silencer(white jug in the passenger fender) as it gave me a bit more pull over 3k rpm.

If that doesn't help you can always get a set of delta cams for it.

As for the K&N filters fouling the MAF, I don't believe that for one second.

2 reasons:
1. K&N put out a notice saying that their filters do not harm MAF sensors when properly oiled.

2. I have been running a K&N filter for over a year now with no problems.

#4 soobie_newbie67

soobie_newbie67

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • Kennewick

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

^^^ would there be one of those intake silencers on my 1996 legacy?

Found it. Removed it. Wow

Edited by soobie_newbie67, 15 October 2012 - 01:56 AM.

#5 Aluxes

Aluxes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • mt. shasta, ca

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:50 AM

I removed my intake silencer and added a flexable hose attached to the stock air box, with a K&N filter, and ran the hose down to one of the open vent in the front bumper. Basically its a forced induction, cold air intake. I did notice an improved acceleration from 1st to 5th and on the freeway at 70 plus, around 3000 rpm. It really jumps at that rpm. Its a 97 ej22 in an Impreza outback sport with 259,000. The hose, a flexable universal cold air with aluminum couplers on both ends, I got from Amazon and it only cost me $20 plus about an hour to install. Def worth it, plus it sounds a lot better.

#6 poolskaterpt

poolskaterpt

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • San Luis Obispo

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

Weapon R makes a short ram intake that doesn't throw a CEL You could bolt on 1.8 heads no problem, no change in compression, which have the dual port head to allow the moutning of a Borla Header unit which run about 120$ Cams would be an option. To turbo the same block you could use the 2.5 heads with the dual port making the engine approx 2.35L with slight drop in compression allowing you to run approx 5-6lbs boost safely into the same block. Just run the 1.8T trubo components, or 2.2T or 2.0T turbo components just dial the boost down to 5-6lbs. May need to run independent engine management.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users