Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ummm I think I goofed......

I stripped out another exhaust bolt hole but this time when I went to drill out the old threads, I think I drilled a little too far. Is it still ok? I looked inside and all I can see is remnents of muddy water. No oil or antifreeze came out and no sign of carbon deposits. Thanks

well....the air goes SOMEwere don't know where, though. Also, I kan't seem to get the pipes to seal up correctly either. I got one side basicly sealed, but the other I think is leaking around that particular bolt hole. Bummer. Guess that's what I get for taking out the cat, right?:banghead: That was a project too. Ended up reconstructing the piping from the heads to the connection by the tranny due to the fact that the inner pipes were cracked. Oh twell....sounds better w/out it.;)

I'm pretty sure the holes are blind. I think you hit a water jacket. Try it with the head underwater.

*Watches from under umbrella*

The head is still on the engine? Nevermind the underwater thing.

hey nut, same exact thing happened to me,first off did u try doubling up on the gaskets?(worked for me) then i plugged the bad hole with liquid steel (u can use what u prefer) and rotated the flange on the downpipe 180 degrees to match the other 2 holes and it works perfect:brow: just make sure when u weld the flange to take a straight edge of some sort and make sure it has the same angle as ur other downpipe....oh yeah and p.s when i cut my flange off i just used a little bit bigger pipe to make a union with,made it a little easier to weld 1 side then rotate it to get it exact. gluck

Originally Posted by hatch4x4:

Just do what the rest of us do...

^

ha ha!

Anyways, I did double gasket it and it appears I've quieted down the exhaust noise. :) Sounds DEFINITLY meaner without that cat! :brow: THanks guys! Doesn't look like I will hafta plug the hole. The Bolt seems to seal it pretty good and it appears that I just ran into an air cavity. Thanks anyways!

Now, operation move muff back a little. It's hitting a bolt and making a rattleing sound. Guess I'll hafta cut the pipe just behind the muffler and shorten it a bit and reattatch. BUT that will hatfa wait.:-\