Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

turn signal and cluster wtf

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 experience780

experience780

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • centerville

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

i have a 2001 outback if you turn the turn signal on it will take out the dash lights and gauges.after a little time they come back on. the four ways work and if you unplug them you have no turn signals but the gauges work. i tried a new turn signal switch and ignition switch. there was no change please help thank you.

#2 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,987 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Hm that type of thing sounds like a ground or other electrical connection issue. Which particular one of course would be the question. Neither the turn signal switch nor ignition switch would really be likely suspects even if the turn signal switch were faulty.

Edited by porcupine73, 17 December 2012 - 01:19 PM.

#3 experience780

experience780

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • centerville

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

Oh damn, sounds like............fun?

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,932 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

Is it just the lighting in the cluster or do all of the dash lights go out? (HVAC, stereo, etc.)
Does it matter which way the signal stalk is moved? (Up/down)
Have you checked fuses for bad connection?

The hazard lights are powered by a different source since they have to work without the key in the ignition. I would suspect a bad connection powering the dash cluster. The big question is, do the signal lights outside still work properly after the dash lights go out?

#5 naru

naru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,818 posts
  • under the bridge

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

Bad common ground.

#6 experience780

experience780

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • centerville

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

Thanks. So I gotta track down wiring issues fml. Why couldn't it be a simple problem (anything but wiring) lol. And yes it is the cluster lights AND gauges that go out.

#7 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

Does this happen when you use a turn signal on either side, both left and right?

#8 experience780

experience780

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • centerville

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

Yes its both left and right, kills the gauges unless the hazard switch is pushed. If you push the hazard switch then the turn signal switch the dash is ok. The turn signals never work regardless

#9 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

If it was on one side only, I would suspect that a wrong bulb could have been installed at one corner, causing a connection between the two circuits. Now it looks unlikely, unless someone replaced all 4 bulbs with wrong type.
If it's a bad ground connection, could be one for the cluster. In that case, when turn signals are off, there will be a ground path through the turn indicator bulbs. The current drawn by the cluster is small and so would be the voltage drop at the bulbs.

Edited by avk, 03 December 2012 - 10:40 AM.

#10 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

The trouble does indeed sound like a bad chassis ground issue like Naru stated. Try cleaning the battery to chassis ground connection to see if that helps. If that doesn't help then try running a temporary ground wire from the battery to the dash area and see if that changes things. If it does then clean the dash grounding points.

#11 experience780

experience780

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • centerville

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Thanks peoples. I appreciate the feedback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users