Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a 2001 outback if you turn the turn signal on it will take out the dash lights and gauges.after a little time they come back on. the four ways work and if you unplug them you have no turn signals but the gauges work. i tried a new turn signal switch and ignition switch. there was no change please help thank you.

Is it just the lighting in the cluster or do all of the dash lights go out? (HVAC, stereo, etc.)

Does it matter which way the signal stalk is moved? (Up/down)

Have you checked fuses for bad connection?

The hazard lights are powered by a different source since they have to work without the key in the ignition. I would suspect a bad connection powering the dash cluster. The big question is, do the signal lights outside still work properly after the dash lights go out?

If it was on one side only, I would suspect that a wrong bulb could have been installed at one corner, causing a connection between the two circuits. Now it looks unlikely, unless someone replaced all 4 bulbs with wrong type.

If it's a bad ground connection, could be one for the cluster. In that case, when turn signals are off, there will be a ground path through the turn indicator bulbs. The current drawn by the cluster is small and so would be the voltage drop at the bulbs.

Edited by avk

The trouble does indeed sound like a bad chassis ground issue like Naru stated. Try cleaning the battery to chassis ground connection to see if that helps. If that doesn't help then try running a temporary ground wire from the battery to the dash area and see if that changes things. If it does then clean the dash grounding points.