Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sorting out ej25d valve cover gasket differences?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bluto5

bluto5

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Kankakee, IL

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

Hi all,

I have an impreza that has been ej25d swapped and the time has come to do the head gaskets.

So I am gathering my gaskets and discover I need to sort out the valve cover particulars. I didn't know previously that there were changes in this area.

So, question is.. With no vin from the original vehicle, how do I determine which (of the 4 types?) of valve cover gaskets I need?

Any insight?
Thanks, Sam

Edited by bluto5, 11 December 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#2 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,601 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

Post a picture of the gasket that came out, the valve cover, and/or the head. Chances are someone on here who works on a lot of those will know which year it is.

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,080 posts
  • WV

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

there are only 2 options for the EJ25D (1996-1998 and 99 Legacy/Outbacks)

looking at the spark plug holes and spark plug hole gaskets will confirm.

notice the difference in the spark plug gaskets between the following two links, these are the two styles:

http://www.ebay.com/...t-/360422091684

and here:
http://www.ebay.com/...T-/200566575313

figure out which is yours and correlate to the appropriate motor, year, etc and you'll figure it out.

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,080 posts
  • WV

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

i have a set of valve cover gaskets for an EJ25D that i likely won't need any time soon from Subaru. PM or email me if you want to buy them.

i can verify which style if you're intersted.

#5 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

95-96 97-98 98-99 one is stamped twinn cam others are blank covers after 97 no hydrolic lifter engines

#6 bluto5

bluto5

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Kankakee, IL

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for the quick replies.

I hadn't seen the square plug hole before. So '99 ej25d had those.. Do they fall into the grey area of phase 2 ej25d that I have heard about? Are the 2.5rs ej25d square plug also? Just curious here.

I was aware of the hyd lifter heads.

So my confusion started with azones website, (98 subaru outback) 4 felpro listings based on vin. What I failed to notice befor was that it was only two part numbers. That narrows things down a little bit.

The pics show both kits with the oval plug hole but I wonder if one is the square kit.

My heads have the oval plug holes. Sounds like all of these gasket kits should be the same..?

Thanks again for the help.
Sam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users