Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Would this work as a cheap lift?

I'm thinking probably not, but I'm trying to come up with an effective but cheap lift for my '95 impy. I have steel and a welder but not a whole lot in the cash department.

I made little 2.25" tall by 2" wide blocks that i was thinking of putting as inserts (spacers) for the bolts for in-between the top hats and the body.

I was looking at something for a more solid "all around" bolt-in but not really much in creativity.

ideas?

I'm not too convinced this'll work (how i was going to do it) because I think it'll bend the tophats?

-Justin

you can go 2" on legacy's and XT6's without axle concerns, i'd assume something similar for impreza's.

yes many lift kits are simply spacers like you said. they are offset though to allow for proper camber adjustment, otherwise the top of your tires stick out and wear on the outer edges like crazy.

You have 2" square tube? Cut some and make drop spacers for the cross members to match the strut spacers. Cross members, transverse arm bushings, trailing arm brackets, diff carrier, and the center driveshaft support. Drill holes buy some bolts and you can drop the whole suspension 2".

You could just pop a set of legacy outback struts on it. You can do those with no other mods and get a solid inch. Then you can fit slightly larger tires to get another 1/2" or so.

With no cross member drop I would do about 1.5" spacers at most on the struts. You want to make them tall enough that you don't need to knock the old studs out of the strut mounts. To get the studs out the mounts have to come off, which just adds time and extra work to the project.

Interesting.. I'll have to look up dropping everything.

If I were to make it just an inch, maybe an inch and a half and not knock out the existing bolts. Having these blocks on the bolts won't hurt it?

I really want a larger lift but don't have really any idea how to do it, other than these spacers. What to drop, angles, etc...

-Justin