Ultimate Subaru Message Board

180K miles, original alternator, battery is little over 2 years old (6 year battery). Accessories come on and dash light but nothing when you turn the key, even while attempting to jump start.

Had this happen about 6 weeks ago (DOA when I went to start) and it started fine with the help of a jump. Just figured I left something on or a door open. Didn't think much of it. Car ran fine up until today. Not sure where to begin, any help is appreciated.

thanks-

Auto-Transmission. Just went out in the garage and wiggled the negative terminal on the battery and it was tight. For giggles tried to start it again and bingo--she started right up.

Guess my battery and alternator are good. Can't figure out what I did since the Neg connection on the battery is good, no acid build up at all. Positive terminal is good and tight as well, little build-up on that connection.

Think I should replace both of the cables just to be safe?

I wouldn't replace the main cables unless you first prove they have a problem. You need to check to see if voltage is getting to the starter solenoid wire while this trouble is occurring. There could be a problem with the inhibit switch and is a common issue with this kind of trouble. Sometimes moving the shifter around in the slot will clear the trouble for a bit.

Cougar is an electrical guru I would definitely key in on his advice.

cables almost never fail on Subaru's, i wouldn't throw parts at it just yet.

get a battery post and cable end/terminal cleaner and clean them both and reinstall.

gotta start digging into electrical stuff if that's not it.

testing for voltage at the starter

jumping it via the battery

jumping via the starter - give 12 volts right to the starter

etc...

Edited by grossgary

• 1 month later...